986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Reflash ??? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/26983-reflash.html)

kyleturner2020 11-23-2010 06:56 PM

Reflash ???

OK, so yes the bug has bitten hard this time....

Reflash seems to be the next sensible upgrade, which is better

FVD
Softronic

Anyone with any experience with either please chime in...

Thanks-

Kyle

j.fro 11-24-2010 03:17 AM

Get all of your other mods done first, then go for the reflash.

kyleturner2020 11-24-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
Get all of your other mods done first, then go for the reflash.

They are done.

j.fro 11-24-2010 06:35 AM

I've got the Softronic and have been very pleased. The engine runs smoother and has noticeably more torque throughout the range. Gas mileage fell off 3-4 mpg, but that was to be expected.

manolo 11-24-2010 09:09 AM

I have basically the same result as jfro. I did the softronic flash when they had their winter sale last year and have been very pleased. Throttle response is better and the car feels stronger, not a huge change but noticeable. The fact that i can eliminate my secondary o2 sensors with no CEL and it included the durametric kit are a nice bonus.
I did lose some fuel economy but im ok with that. Freeway driving still gives me excellent mileage but around town it has decreased. Of course i also flog the hell out of my car! Im afraid to look at the overrev counter!

harryrcb 11-24-2010 09:26 AM

Ditto, Softronics is the bomb.. much better torque and hp I'm making 310 at the flyhwheel (262 a@ rear Whl) Fuel milage.. who cares. I can still get 25mpg on hway if I behave... almose never....get it you will not be dissapointed :D

tamarsha 11-24-2010 10:31 AM

I jumped on the FVD software about a year ago when they were offering it for half off. Turned it into a totally different car. The best $500 I have spent on her. The FVD people were really good to work with. After I upgraded my headers and cats I talked to them about seeing if I needed to reflash (free reflash if you make a change in the first 6 months). I can't compare them with Softronic but I am sure you will be happy with the FVD software.

kyleturner2020 11-25-2010 07:57 AM

Everyone did all the install themselves?

balpo 11-25-2010 08:54 AM

Softronic - no complaints. Self install, but make sure you have a battery charger to hook to battery during the install and you'll need a windows based computer - read the threads - lots of helpful advice. No decrease in MPG, a small increase in performance and better throttle mapping.

harryrcb 11-25-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleturner2020
Everyone did all the install themselves?

yup, it's easy enough best part is softronic sends you the cable so if you need to you can revert to the original set up and no one would be the wiser. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the T and like someone said make sure you do not loose power during the upgrade either from you laptop or your car.

Johnny Danger 11-26-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

OK, so yes the bug has bitten hard this time....

Reflash seems to be the next sensible upgrade, which is better

FVD
Softronic

Anyone with any experience with either please chime in...

Thanks-

Kyle

This thread is worth checking out. Also, as others have suggested, its important to make all of your mods before you consider re-mapping the ECU.
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/22393-ecu-tuning-opportunity.html?highlight=ecu+flash

kyleturner2020 11-30-2010 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone! Got a great deal on the FVD software...It'll be here Thursday!

Johnny Danger 12-01-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone! Got a great deal on the FVD software...It'll be here Thursday!

Congrats ! FVD is a great group of people to deal with. I'm sure that you will be very happy with your decision . Let the mods begin !! :)

kyleturner2020 12-03-2010 11:33 AM

Install process went smooth as glass!! The car is very naughty now!

jaykay 12-08-2010 05:31 PM

Kyle.....still like your FVD?

kyleturner2020 12-08-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay
Kyle.....still like your FVD?

Dude it is awesome! the car screams! great power over entire band, but just slingshots around 4k.

Looking at your mods, you would probably love it as well....

Kyle

jaykay 12-20-2010 07:22 PM

Sounds like you know me Kyle.......I am suprised to hear that the effect is so dramatic. I would hope the tune will make use of my by-pass system. I have the stock intake (desnorked of course); stock headers; fab speed sec. cat deletes; bypass muffler with hardly any flow going into the chambers.....the sound is sweet but it may be hard for them to assess for the flash as it is really custom. I hope I have not hurt the performance with this arrangement. Is it worth me doing the intake? Most race car leave the stock air box in there..