Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #1

Garage
ECU Tuning Opportunity

I came across this thread on Planet Porsche. I think its worth checking out for anyone who is in the market for upgrading their ECU.

http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-boxster-modifications/37183-fvd-brombacher-introduction-introductory-planet-porsche-offer.html

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #2

Thumbs up

nice find.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

Nice gains, Anybody wanna go half?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Haha doesn't work that way....
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

Ha! wish it did! I'm thinking about it. The gains, for the price, are pretty impressive for my 01. I wonder what, if any, downside issues there might be? Of course their web site states that there aren't any but.. Heck there might not be any. I'm just not smart enough to figure out if there are. Like I said though, the upside seems pretty impressive.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I doubt that the extra 10hp= -.2 off your 0-60.........
Old 10-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #7

Blink... you don't think the 10 hp would translate to .2 off 0-60 time? What increases do you think you could expect... if any? 10 hp is about a 4.5% increase in my 217 base hp. (Their web site claims 15 hp increase, and an almost 8% increase in torque....from 220 to 235 hp and 192 to 207 torque. This specifically for the 2.7 01 base. 15 hp is almost a 7% increase over the 217) Either way, I would think (with absolutely NO basis for the conclusion) that a .2 increase would be achievable. But I could be all wet too. Enlighten me please. If there's no discernable expected increase in performance then I think I'd be wasting my money?

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

anyone take one for the team yet?

anyone purchase this yet for the boxster 2.7 non-s? I think I am pulling the trigger first thing tuesday unless I hear something extremely negative.

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Blink... you don't think the 10 hp would translate to .2 off 0-60 time? What increases do you think you could expect... if any? 10 hp is about a 4.5% increase in my 217 base hp. (Their web site claims 15 hp increase, and an almost 8% increase in torque....from 220 to 235 hp and 192 to 207 torque. This specifically for the 2.7 01 base. 15 hp is almost a 7% increase over the 217) Either way, I would think (with absolutely NO basis for the conclusion) that a .2 increase would be achievable. But I could be all wet too. Enlighten me please. If there's no discernable expected increase in performance then I think I'd be wasting my money?

Bob
lbrown2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #9

Sounds like a good deal to me. Remember that a good ECU tune is more than just peak HP and torque. They can also give you a flatter torque curve and remap the throttle response, which can make the car more fun to drive.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown2009
anyone purchase this yet for the boxster 2.7 non-s? I think I am pulling the trigger first thing tuesday unless I hear something extremely negative.

Lance
I am "pulling the trigger" today. The folks at FVD are some of the most knowledgeable and professional folks that I have encountered. Indeed, in the vast world of so called "tuners", FVD is the real deal. Their ECU programs aren't just some "boiler plate" files simply designed to blanket the model range. Rather each client receives a custom program that is designed specifically for their vehicle, taking into account performance upgrades ect... No worries Lance. There is only an upside to this application.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-13-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I am "pulling the trigger" today. The folks at FVD are some of the most knowledgeable and professional folks that I have encountered. Indeed, in the vast world of so called "tuners", FVD is the real deal. Their ECU programs aren't just some "boiler plate" files simply designed to blanket the model range. Rather each client receives a custom program that is designed specifically for their vehicle, taking into account performance upgrades ect... No worries Lance. There is only an upside to this application.
I am a testament to the above comments. The folks at FVD are top notch and nothing less of that. For the most part I have dealt with both Mark and Rhonda and they have been nothing short of great in accomodating my needs. In regards to the programming I dealt with none other than Florian. We read out my car together for my file to be sent to Germany in order to construe a flash file and the following evening (10 p.m.) we were on the phone again to flash my car. For most people once they leave their work it stays their but this is not the case at FVD. For them to go out of their way on their personal time speaks volumes of great character and service with me and for that I am grateful. Yoy will not regret any of it. Rest assured.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #12

Hmmm.....if someone can provide a 3rd party dyno I'd drop the bling bling if the car really gains what they show from their dyno charts.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-13-2009 at 06:23 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #13

"Hmmm.....if someone can provide a 3rd party dyno I'd drop the bling bling if the car really gains what they show from their dyno charts."

I am not familar with their tune software, but I would be suprised if you did not pick up 10+ hp, some torque, and a more responsive throttle mapping. Thats about what I got on the dyno after "chipping" my 2000 2.7L several years ago.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #14

Garage
The "trigger was pulled". This was one of the best offers that I have come across in a very long time. I will post my results in the near future.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
"Hmmm.....if someone can provide a 3rd party dyno I'd drop the bling bling if the car really gains what they show from their dyno charts."

I am not familar with their tune software, but I would be suprised if you did not pick up 10+ hp, some torque, and a more responsive throttle mapping. Thats about what I got on the dyno after "chipping" my 2000 2.7L several years ago.

Ed

Was that from just an ECU tune or were the dyno runs done in conjunction with others mods as well?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #16

I am very curious if the FVD setup has any real world performance gains on the 2.7L... I have a 2002 2.7L with Softronic, and to be honest... I can't say that I felt much of a difference with it at all.

The FVD software screenshots look almost the same as the softronic, but that could just be similar/same loading software, and different tuning files...

Anyhow, if anyone gets any real feedback on the 2.7 with the FVD, I'd love to hear about it...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #17

"Was that from just an ECU tune or were the dyno runs done in conjunction with others mods as well?"

I did most of this work to my car when I first got it three years ago. I did at least half a dozen different dyno runs playing with different ECU tunes and exhaust system configurations. As I recall, I got about 15 hp and 10 ft lbs of torque with just the chip. The the torque curve was much better and the car noticably more responsive.

With intake, chip and full cat-back exhaust I picked up around 25 hp. I am using a chip from Autothority Pitstop. As I understand it, their chips are based on the TTP products TTP. BTW, I just went out to their website and noticed the price of their chip, yikes, it was not that expensive when I got mine back when.

Ed

Old 10-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
"Was that from just an ECU tune or were the dyno runs done in conjunction with others mods as well?"

I did most of this work to my car when I first got it three years ago. I did at least half a dozen different dyno runs playing with different ECU tunes and exhaust system configurations. As I recall, I got about 15 hp and 10 ft lbs of torque with just the chip. The the torque curve was much better and the car noticably more responsive.

With intake, chip and full cat-back exhaust I picked up around 25 hp. I am using a chip from Autothority Pitstop. As I understand it, their chips are based on the TTP products TTP. BTW, I just went out to their website and noticed the price of their chip, yikes, it was not that expensive when I got mine back when.

Ed

I had occasion to speak with the proprietor of PitStop, Mingh. He was a nice gentleman to deal with indeed. However, Pietz ,who owns TTP, was nothing short of atrocious ! In fact, he was on record with saying that he had no use dealing with Americans "because we have no money". He also reiterated the same sentiment to a couple of Porsche forum administrators who asked him to advertise on their site.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #19

Wow, that is a great deal for $495

Very nice find Johnny D

Last edited by Wingnut2u; 11-02-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #20

This offer is definately intriguing. I wish FVD would say how long the offer is good till.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote