Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Camera out the back , neat view

I decided to try a new camera view and was pleasantly surprised on the results. I wish I could integrate the front view into the pic but it’s not in my budget this year, besides there are more important things to spend money on, such as an engine upgrade, brakes, suspension, seats, etc . I found out in this session that I have out driven my G lock and will, at some point, put in race seats, I’m tired (literally) of holding myself in the seat. At the end of the day, I’m exhausted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9eGbKXO80k

Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

For races I typically run 3 or 4 camera views. I use the HD Go Pro for the front view, and purchased the standard Go Pro's ($99 at Costco) Mount one of those stickies to the side of your helmet and try a helmet view, it's fun as well. You can have 3 views for under $500 then. Plus they all use SD cards so the media is interchangeable.

Made race review easy at WG and CMP when I got hit
f1rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
great vid. better that you smoked him instead of playing with him...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
great vid. better that you smoked him instead of playing with him...
I really hated doing that to him. He is a friend of mine but he told me how bad he will beat me, I just couldn't let that go. After the session, he was in denial and told me that he got hung up in traffic. So I posted the video, after he saw it, he was really down and was talking about upgrading his car. I really felt bad! I guess that's what you get for boasting plus it seams to be a concensus among 911 owners that boxster are just a low end slow car and some even don't consider them being a "real" Porsche. Someone has to step up and show them otherwise. Something similar happened to another friend of mine that has a very tricked out 997 turbo. I could not get around him but I kept the same lap times he did. again denial but I sat him down in front of my computer and showed him that indeed on every lap I would catch back up to him by T5 . the look on his face was undeniably disappointment and he is no slouch behind the wheel , an ex racer, so if I could manage to get a few more ponies under my hood, I could bust a few more ego's lol It's all in fun and that's what counts, I don't take myself too seriouslly.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #5

Garage
aerodynamic "Q"

you have some form of additional wing on the back, i wonder if that rear spoiler poping up and down is really a benefit?

any reason for not deactivating the spoiler?

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litteng
you have some form of additional wing on the back, i wonder if that rear spoiler poping up and down is really a benefit?

any reason for not deactivating the spoiler?
Yes, I have considered that, but things are going well enough and why mess with it as long as its working. I don't think the wing by itself will give me enough downforce in the higher speed corners without the stock spoiler, maybe if I put a bigger wing on it then I can disengage the stock. Anyone else have an opinion on that?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

i would think that the stock spoiler is actually working better with the wing.

instead of letting air spill around it when up, you're channeling the air at the wing and when it's up the air has nowhere to go. a pocket capturing the air, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Yes, I have considered that, but things are going well enough and why mess with it as long as its working. I don't think the wing by itself will give me enough downforce in the higher speed corners without the stock spoiler, maybe if I put a bigger wing on it then I can disengage the stock. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Old 11-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
i would think that the stock spoiler is actually working better with the wing.

instead of letting air spill around it when up, you're channeling the air at the wing and when it's up the air has nowhere to go. a pocket capturing the air, if you will.
If that is the case wouldn't that take away from my top end down the straight? Perhaps that is why I haven't reached a higher speed, I have been wandering about that as well
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #9

no, there'd be a bubble there , you're going thru the air cleaner. and it's adding to your downforce.

the same as a pickup truck at speed. with the tailgate, the air flows over the cab and past the tailgate. drop the tailgate and you lose the bubble, increasing drag.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Crazy Austrian

Garage
you are right about the pickup truck, have seen documentation supporting that, so you could be right about my car as well. hmmm something to ponder, thanks for you input
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #11

the pickup truck increases drag when the gate is open only because the back of the cab is squared off & results in turbulent airflow. the box w/ the top up has a nice slope that guides the air around the car; a result similar to the pickup truck is unlikely.

further, we need to understand the difference between a spoiler and a wing. a spoiler reduces lift by slowing the speed of the airflow over the car. when the air is significantly faster over the car than under it, the bernoulli principle tells us that pressure will be comparatively higher under the car than above it. the result is lift. a spoilier interrupts that airflow & increases the relative pressure over the car, in turn reducing lift.

a wing, instead, develops its own counter-force by generating the reverse scenario of the car itself: it's designed to accelerate aiflow UNDER the wing to press the car down at speed. so there we have it: a spoiler reduces lift while a wing generates downforce.

all this having been said, fluid dynamics is a funny thing.....the air rarely does what we think it will. my guess is that your setup increases turbulence & drag, but does not appreciably affect lift / downforce at the back of the car. your best bet is either the factory setup OR a larger wing, but not both.

blue2000 is a whiz at this stuff; maybe he'll weigh in here.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I wish he would jump in, I have been wanting to eliminate the small wing and spoiler and go with a larger wing but have no idea where to start with size and angle. Don't want to be my own test dummy (been there and done that) it's not fun. I' sure a few people have a good setup for that and would be interested in finding out where to start. Thank you all for you input