Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Door Lock Mechanism?? NOPE

Well, I finally have had it. Tonight I installed the 3rd Door lock mechanism and none of them worked. Guess I was an idiot and did not test the harness until tonight. That is where I am having the issue. The harness that plugs into the mechanism itself (I believe its and 8 pin) has a short. I can reach down there and when I touch the wiring itself it jumps all over the place (the window that is) and my door light goes on and off.

Any suggestions to this problem? New harness? Is there a way to make the existing harness work?

Thanks for the help. This forum rocks.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
Well, I finally have had it. Tonight I installed the 3rd Door lock mechanism and none of them worked. Guess I was an idiot and did not test the harness until tonight. That is where I am having the issue. The harness that plugs into the mechanism itself (I believe its and 8 pin) has a short. I can reach down there and when I touch the wiring itself it jumps all over the place (the window that is) and my door light goes on and off.

Any suggestions to this problem? New harness? Is there a way to make the existing harness work?

Thanks for the help. This forum rocks.
Are all three dlm brand new? If none are new, then maybe bad solder joint in the dlm.
During my dlm removal, with battery connected, touching the harness at the connector end resulted in similar response of the window/light. My problem was at the pub in the dlm. Reflow solder....done

Last edited by sb01box; 08-19-2010 at 05:35 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Thats right. I now remember what you said before. I can solder that part you mentioned. Do I have to take the door lock apart? Will I be able to look and visibly see the bad solder or do I need to look for something else?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #4

The interesting thing about this is that when I touch the harness where it plugs into the DLM it works and the light comes on and the window drops. If what you say is true its not my harness rather its just the solder joint on the DLM. That would be awesome.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #5

I would have thought if you open the DLM, you just re-solder all the points you see. That wire plug pulls on the socket on the DLM when the wires start to dangle. So there would be stress on all the solder joints in there. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to just re-solder them all for good measure.

I am planning to do something similar this weekend.

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote