Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #21

No

10W30 is not right for the lifters in any weather...warm or cold...or type of driving. And yes quality of oil and frequency of change does matter. Look at one of the approved oils lists.

Every year or 5k change the oil, filter and crush ring. Every 2 years change/flush the brake fluid.

Read the owners manual. Drive the car frequently for longish trips. Get the revs up only when the temp gauge is in the 180 range but try to do it every trip out.

Look at the age of the tires. Age matter as much as wear in safety.

Drive safely.

And enjoy the heck out of it...I drive mine everywhere...just got back from the dump getting rid of a load of trash...an excuse to drive it

You also might want to poke around here

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #22

I'll tell you all the things I wish I knew when I got my Boxster/before I got my Boxster.

1) http://www.pelicanparts.com/boxster/boxster_tech.htm This is an AWESOME resource for pretty much everything. Read through all the titles and read the ones you want to know more about. You will learn a lot.

2) Like you said, drive it for a few months before doing anything to it at all. I'm talking 4 months minimum so you have time to really learn about your car.

3) Repairs are expensive, make sure you have a good mechanic to go to. Make sure you can trust them.

4) Boxster people are cool.

5) I change my oil every 6-10k and I use synth.

6) It will be more fun that you think.

7) At first I didn't like the back end of the Boxster, but when I bought one, everything about it started to grow on me. The car is really really pretty.

Enjoy
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #23

I also just picked up a 2000 Boxster S and am VERY impressed. I concour with the poster that stated drive it for a min. of 4 months before going with any upgrades.

A hardtop would be kind of to have.

What are some of the big name parts for Boxsters I can trust for premium quality?

Thanks!

Last edited by Boxster-S_dude; 11-03-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Boxster-S_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #24

Just got back Sunday night. Love the car so far. It's fast enough stock.

Put it in the air yesterday.

We just found something. It looks like two hoses/pipes are pinched running along the passenger side of the car. Apparently at some point some idiot tried to lift the car but didn't use the lift points. Check out the pics...I don't know how old the damage is, but it appears to be running fine now, and presumably they have been pinched from some time. What is it, and should I be worried about it?

For reference on placement, it's along the passenger side, about 1.5 feet in front of the rear wheel
Drew J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #25

That is most likely a coolent line running to the front side mount radiators.

Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote