Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

How do I remove the seats...Tool advice

I have never in my life seen a bolt like this, its a male torx head. I have never seen this before. Do I need a reverse torx bot to remove this as I have never heard of one.

What Other tools will I need to purchase for this car, I thought I'd be fine with a basic set of Hex/Allen drivers. If so do I need metric or SAE

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #2

you will need some new tools my friend for working on these cars. the evil elves from the black forrest have done their worst. a good set of sockets and drivers [both males and female torx] plus anti tamper torx. a set of triple square sockets
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Metric.

I don't know the bolt in question - pic?

You will need a good set of metric allen wrenches, a set of metric sockets, maybe a great big Torx bit depending on your caliper bolt type, a set of Torx bits, and a metric set of ratcheting wrenches (not essential until you get around to replacing your motor mount).

For oil changes, I use a strap wrench for the filter housing.

I can't think of any really exotic tools I've needed for the stuff I've done - common metric hand tools suffice.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4

I've never heard of or seen a female torx socket. But thanks guys I'll be ordering my tools. Got me some new seats and too my amazement I cant even install them. I had to blink a few times to realize what kind of bolt I was actually seeing. Thought I was drunk but it was still there this morning!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Disconnect the battery before you pull out the seats.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

^^^ What he said - otherwise you'll be trying to reset the stupid airbag light.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20
I've never heard of or seen a female torx socket. But thanks guys I'll be ordering my tools. Got me some new seats and too my amazement I cant even install them. I had to blink a few times to realize what kind of bolt I was actually seeing. Thought I was drunk but it was still there this morning!
GTA:

Although a female metric torx socket is ideal for removing the four bolts that hold down the seat rails, in a pinch you can use a 1/4" drive 10mm socket.

Definitely heed the earlier advice regarding accidentally setting off the airbag light. If you do set it off, you can only turn it off with a PIWIS, PST2, or Durametric.

BTW, all fasteners on a Porsche are metric and you will find that some tools that you will buy will only come out of your toolbox for the Porsche.

If you are going to be working on your Boxster, definitely also invest in a Bentley manual. It's invaluable and reasonably priced.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

I bought a set with the exact socket you need from my local Advanced Auto Parts store. A set of 4 (granted I will probably never use the other 3 ever) cost me about $8.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #9

Thank you all, I have ordered my tools needed. Metric is what I use on my infiniti. So I think mostly I'll have a majority of sockets and wrenches, I have many hex tools left over from my former BMW's so this reverse torx will be what I'll start adding to my set.

Will I need to disconnect the battery on a 97? I dont have bags in my seats and wont be putting power to the ignition until after the new seats are installed? I dont have a PWIS and wont pay someone to turn off my airbag light if I can avoid this issue for free

10mm socket was a good tip, I may just do that as I've been itching to do this.....
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20
Thank you all, I have ordered my tools needed. Metric is what I use on my infiniti. So I think mostly I'll have a majority of sockets and wrenches, I have many hex tools left over from my former BMW's so this reverse torx will be what I'll start adding to my set.

Will I need to disconnect the battery on a 97? I dont have bags in my seats and wont be putting power to the ignition until after the new seats are installed? I dont have a PWIS and wont pay someone to turn off my airbag light if I can avoid this issue for free

10mm socket was a good tip, I may just do that as I've been itching to do this.....
Yes, you still need to disconnect the battery.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Battery disconnect is one way to go. As long as you don't insert the ign. key until you are finished you will avoid the dreaded airbag light. Pay careful attention to the seat wiring issues to make sure everything goes back in correctly. Yes a 10mm socket or box wrench will remove the seat bolts. Here is a seat install DIY with pics:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album651

Shade tree mechanic advice:
When you encounter a weird German torx bolt, remove it with whatever means necessary and take it to your trusted hardware or auto parts store for replacement with the same thread and hardness but standard hex or phillips head. No more fishing around in your tool box for that one-off odd ball tool you only use once every 5 years or so. you always know instantly where a 12mm socket/open/box/swivel/ tool is. Boycott all torx fasteners and tools. They unnecessarily clutter up a perfectly good tool box.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #12

<- just bought a tamper proof triple square, 1/2" drive,
to change the gear oil in my 97 box.
You could use a triple square bit, and drill a hole,
but I have a strong affinity for specialty tools.

Assenmacher is one of the great brands I like for german specific tools.
You can buy direct,
and their prices are great.

-Brad
JettaGLi16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #13

Thanks so much for each of you who has chimed in with some advice and recommendations

Whoever says that porsche owners are all pr!cks was sadly mistaken this is a great community :dance:
Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #14

This is some great info, is there a specified torque setting for re-installing these bolts?
vwburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #15

The torque spec for the seat bolts is 48 foot pounds. I did not have the needed torx socket so I used a 10 mm six sided socket. Only problem was I could only get it torqued to 45 ft lbs. The poor fit of the socket and the awkward positions and needing 12 inches of extentions made it difficult to torque.

I did not disconnect the battery because the book said I needed to find my radio code before disconnecting. Well that was a whole new problem to solve, so I just didn't unhook the battery. I was very careful though. Luck was on my side I guess because I did not know anything about not putting the key in the ignition. I just didn't put the key in it until after putting it back together.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote