Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #1

Help!!! Drainage above right foot

I just noticed this today in my 1999 boxster since i was driving in shorts that when in 2nd gear and i put the pedal to the floor some liquid drips on my foot just above the shoes !!! From the underside of the dashboard maybe.What could that liquid be ? Should i be worried ?

Last edited by gs986; 06-01-2012 at 03:08 AM.
gs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #2

Garage
The clutch slave cyclinder is up there... Get a flashlight and find the source. Has it rained recently?
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

no but i washed the car last night.
but i should note that it was a 50 mile drive and it was early in the morning it must have been worm and i had the a/c on when that happened could it be that there was some condensation which led to that ? because i don't think that it's oil.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

warm* and moist
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Checked your front drains? Is the AC draining the condensation under the right side of the car?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Wash car + clogged front drains = water leaking under dashboard
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm not sure if Lebanon is referring to a town in the US or the country, but I guess I'll just ask it this way: is your car right-hand or left-hand drive?

The A/C compressor is on the right side of the car, and the brake booster is on the left. Clogged drain holes and general crud buildup in your battery compartment area (inevitable) can block up the drain hole and lead to water having nowhere else to go but into the footwells...and the brake booster's area, which is also not good, as this caused my sister's booster to go bad and lock up her Boxster's brakes on the slightest press of the pedal.

The plastic panels on either side of the battery are very easy to remove, held in by one screw each, a hex-head if I remember correctly off the top of my head, otherwise it's a torx head. After that they pretty much just lift up slightly and out toward the front of the car, much like the cover for your battery. If you have a way to blow some compressed air into the drain hole, that is probably the best way to get the drain clear. If you have a good puddle of standing water in there along with whatever crap is in there likely blocking it, you know the hole is clogged good. Be careful not to press the rubber grommet into the hole in your efforts to clean and clear. Pour some water afterward to test it out. You should see a decent trickle under the car as opposed to dripping like a faucet leak or no dripping at all.

You should also check the drain holes under the clamshell to ensure they are clear so you don't run the risk of getting water in the electornics under your seat.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote