Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Garage
WTB or rent RMS install tool

RMS installation tool WTB or rent in So. CA

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

You are aware that there is more than one tool, and they differ considerably, depending upon which type of seal you are installing?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

And that tool (9609) will not work with the latest design RMS, which is made from PTFE and requires special tools 9699 and 9699/2 insert guide to install and set it to the correct depth. The new design RMS comes with a plastic sleeve attached that mounts onto the new insert guide, which the old tool cannot do...................
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
And that tool (9609) will not work with the latest design RMS, which is made from PTFE and requires special tools 9699 and 9699/2 insert guide to install and set it to the correct depth. The new design RMS comes with a plastic sleeve attached that mounts onto the new insert guide, which the old tool cannot do...................

Fair enough..........Go to Pelican Parts and find the correct RMS, then go to their tool section and find the appropriate install tool. The part I linked is described as "Oil Seal Installation Tool (for original-style seal) - Flywheel Side, Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04)", seeing as this is the 986 forum I was trying to give the man direction. BTW...I installed the new style RMS with the plastic sleeve and made my own install tool with storebought items, when it was all said and done I would of purchased / rented the install tool given the time it took me to make it. On the other hand, thousands of miles and no leaks. My RMS, IMS, Tranny removal write up.........

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/32315-ims-rms-tranny-r-r-tips/page__p__171477__fromsearch__1#entry171477
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #6

I read your write up earlier. While we sometimes fabricate our own tools, what we make needs to be durable enough to survive in a shop environment; and sometimes factoring in the time costs, buying what already exists commercially can be both expedient and economical over the longer term. In any case, I was trying to alert the original poster to the fact that there are more than one style tool, and they need to be aware of what they are renting/borrowing top be sure it was appropriate for the job…………….
Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the input guys, I have the 997 version with the plastic sleeve.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Thanks for the input guys, I have the 997 version with the plastic sleeve.

Then you need special tools 9699 and 9699/2 insert guide to install it, or you can fabricate what you need using Coreseller's thread..............
Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #9

Garage
Oh well I'll just make my own tool. :dance:
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #10

You're probably be better off; one of my tech's "borrowed" my 9699 and 9699/2 tools (required to do a new style PTFE seal) to do an RMS at his home shop. And someone promptly stole them. I just placed an order for replacements: $464.07, plus freight.......... And people get pissed when I refuse to lend or rent tooling................jeez.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
You're probably be better off; one of my tech's "borrowed" my 9699 and 9699/2 tools (required to do a new style PTFE seal) to do an RMS at his home shop. And someone promptly stole them. I just placed an order for replacements: $464.07, plus freight.......... And people get pissed when I refuse to lend or rent tooling................jeez.
this is one of a few bad things that happen when you let your wrenches moonlight on the side....just a shop tip
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #12

On the positive side, someone will be working for free for the foreseeable future.............