Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #1

Please help: Issue starting the Boxster in summer heat

Hi all,

I tried searching the forum for answers on this but didn't get anywhere. Hopefully someone here can help...

I am having trouble starting my '01 Boxster S, when I park it under the sun or heat for more than a few hours. At first this was an occasional problem, but now it's getting to be pretty regular.

If I leave the car until sunset when the temperature cools down, it will start again without issue.

I replaced the battery last year so I don't think that's the cause.

If I turn off the car after driving in the heat, but don't leave it parked for very long, it starts without issues. It's only when I leave the car parked in the heat for more than a few hours.

Any idea what is wrong?? This has been frustrating, getting stranded and having to wait until the evening to pick up the car.

Thanks in advance.

alfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #2

is the starter motor turning the engine over normally hot or cold ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Just guessing, but it sounds like vapor lock in the fuel line to me.

You can google "fuel line vapor lock" for some solutions to try.

Mark
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

The starter motor works fine in the cold. And warm starts are generally okay too - I normally park in a garage.

I'll look into the "fuel line vapor lock".

Any other ideas??
alfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Lock

Hey, I searched "fuel line vapor lock" and only found this thread. Hehe. Oh well. I just had Mark_T suggest looking at this and another thread to diagnose what may be causing my own "hot summer day starting issues."

Just wanted to tell you: I have the same problem, but my car throws a CEL and code 0446: EVAP purge valve faulty. I replaced the "EVAP canister shut-off valve" thinking that was the correct part, but the CEL came right back on after a few days. I just ordered part # 996-110-129-05-M100, the supposedly correct purge valve, from my favorite parts place, Parts Heaven (800.767.7250), for only $50 (used).

Here's my thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25572-99-engine-dying-after-normal-startup.html#post220812

I'll post on here and my thread if the replaced EVAP purge valve will indeed solve your problem.
BoxNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

Other thread

Hey all:

Check out this thread P0446 CEL

It may help you out.

BoxNasty is offline   Reply With Quote