Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #21

I'm considering ordering the kit from Design 911 as well. Is the package Design 911 has for sale the same as the M030 ROW package available through places like Suncoast and Sunset?

'01 Boxster S, '06 Cayman S, '10 Mazdaspeed3, '06 MX-5 Miata Sport, '93 NX2000, '92 MR2
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #22

Yes, it is the complete kit. I was going to post some pictures later today now it's installed. No regrets!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #23

Thanks for the info. Yesterday Sunset quoted me a lower price than Design 911 (around $980 + $40 - $50 for shipping) for the M030 ROW suspension so I ordered it from there. Still, based on what I've seen so far I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Design 911 sometime in the future.

From the sound of it the suspension kit should be at my door within the next couple of weeks.

'01 Boxster S, '06 Cayman S, '10 Mazdaspeed3, '06 MX-5 Miata Sport, '93 NX2000, '92 MR2
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Yes, it is the complete kit. I was going to post some pictures later today now it's installed. No regrets!
Can't wait to see this as I'm hoping to do the same thing in the next year or so!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #25

So...Maybe you could give your box a little rest and put up some before/after pics?

Last edited by brp987; 09-11-2010 at 10:19 AM.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #26

I have been pretty busy and on top of that, we have had bad weather here so I have not been able to take shots. It's windy as hell today too. Maybe late this afternoon if the wind dies or tomorrow.

Trust me when I tell you that I should have done this mod a long time ago.

With that being said, I'm pretty much done with modding for the time being. Don't really know what else I could do to it now...except maybe a softronic reflash, IMS update or a gt3 or ruf body kit...

I'm pretty happy with the looks as-is. Would rather spend my money on performance and although the IMS issue is in my mind, I'd rather not spend the 3500 bucks for "reassurance" and a new rms and clutch with only 20k miles on the car.

But if my engine does happen to grenade on me, it will go to Jake R. for one of his 3.6's as that would be the ultimate upgrade with the new suspension setup.

Does it sound like I'm praying for that to happen or what??? I could only imagine 350+hp behind my seat...has to be simply breathtaking!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #27

Picts attached

Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #28

Some more post install picts of RoW M030.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #29

It's been nearly a month since I ordered my M030 ROW suspension package from Sunset and it still hasn't arrived. Apparently it's on backorder from Germany and there's no ETA when the package will arrive at Sunset and then be sent to me.

Is having to wait this long to get the M030 suspension typical? I'm hoping to get everything and install everything before I put the car away for the winter and the snow comes.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #30

No, that's way too long. When I ordered mine from the UK, it was here within 4 days. I was pretty shocked, but it was a very fast delivery. Design911 was on top of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #31

If it's possible to do so and Design 911 has the suspension package in stock I'm thinking seriously of canceling my order with Sunset and just ordering it from Design 911. Even with shipping the difference in price between the two isn't more than $30 or $40.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
Porscheectomy

It's a long time, but they do get backordered occasionally, especially from Sunset because they're a popular place to get the kit.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe
If it's possible to do so and Design 911 has the suspension package in stock I'm thinking seriously of canceling my order with Sunset and just ordering it from Design 911. Even with shipping the difference in price between the two isn't more than $30 or $40.
I would. That's ridiculous to wait so long. Sunset or not...same kit. You will love it once it's installed!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #34

Earlier this afternoon I ordered the M030 ROW suspension package from Design 911. It sounds like they're expecting to receive a manual-transmission S package on Wednesday, and it should be headed my way not long after that so long as I placed my online order in time.

In the meantime I'm canceling my M030 ROW order with Sunset but am still ordering some front and rear shock mounts from them. Hopefully those parts will arrive at my place around the same time as the parts from Design 911 arrive. My goal is to get everything installed by the end of next week, or at least before I put the car away for the winter.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #35

M030 and H and R sport springs

Has anyone taken the M030 struts and put H and R sport springs to get things a bit lower? This sounds like it would be ideal but would it work?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #36

The front and rear strut mounts and front strut bearings I ordered from Sunset arrived a couple days ago and the M030 package I ordered from Design 911 should be here Monday. So my plan is to get everything installed Tuesday.

Usually when I've installed suspensions on other cars I've given them a couple weeks to "settle" before getting the cars aligned. Should I wait a couple weeks before I align the Boxster or should I go ahead and align it within a few days of the install?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #37

I would align it right away! Then re-check it after things settle to make sure things are right! You dont want to be scrubbing tires unnecessarily
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Has anyone taken the M030 struts and put H and R sport springs to get things a bit lower? This sounds like it would be ideal but would it work?
I have looked into that and have read that the M030 struts are the same as the Bilstein Sports. Quite a few people have been running that setup, but keep in mind that you may need adjustable toe control arms to maintain camber. Some haven't had a problem and some have; so its just something to think about.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodburn
I have looked into that and have read that the M030 struts are the same as the Bilstein Sports. Quite a few people have been running that setup, but keep in mind that you may need adjustable toe control arms to maintain camber. Some haven't had a problem and some have; so its just something to think about.
Thanks I didn't know they were the same dampers. That is good news. I am concerned with fit in spring seats; available damper stroke with the lower H and R springs; mis match between the spring rate of the H and R springs a the M030 dampers. I definitely knew about the rear toe-in on bump that could require some after market adjustables (any favourites?) to get the wheels pointing neutral again. I thought one could get camber with the stock eccentrics.

How are these people finding the ride of this set up? Just a stock S on 18s can be harsh on certain roads.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Thanks I didn't know they were the same dampers. That is good news. I am concerned with fit in spring seats; available damper stroke with the lower H and R springs; mis match between the spring rate of the H and R springs a the M030 dampers. I definitely knew about the rear toe-in on bump that could require some after market adjustables (any favourites?) to get the wheels pointing neutral again. I thought one could get camber with the stock eccentrics.

How are these people finding the ride of this set up? Just a stock S on 18s can be harsh on certain roads.

I am still running my stock suspension on my 03 S so I really cant answer your questions with any certainty as far as spring rates, ride quality and damper stroke. I think I have been trying to figure out the same things you are. I only want to replace my suspension once and I need something that fits my daily driving needs without being overly harsh or screwing something up that would require more parts. One thing I can tell you is that a lot of people have been using the adjustable toe control arms from Tarett. They seem to be a quality product.

http://www.tarett.com/items/boxster~cayman-products/996-986-987-rear-t-control-arm-pr-996tlnk-detail.htm

When it comes down to it, I think that for my needs and for the money I am willing to spend, the ROW suspension is probably best. I don't want to spend a ton of money on all these extra suspension parts to maintain alignment and then have my daily driver ride like crap. I started another thread last week asking questions about the ROW kit but haven't gotten any responses.

Rear suspension problem and the ROW M030 European suspension as a solution