Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #1

how about this for a transplant?

I want to use this for my engine swap in my boxster project:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0802_audi_clean_diesel_engine/photo_07.html

or see attatchment.

this audi diesel v8 has 326 hp, 569lb-ft of trq and only weighs 500lbs, and measures a mere 520 mm(20 in) in length with integrated power steering and water pump driven off of the timing chain.

autodoctor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #2

Looks cool, what do our 2.7L and 3.2L Boxster engines weigh?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

boxster engine weight

I haven't yet found a spec for the weight of a fully dressed m96. I found a weight for an old aircooled 911 motor wet is 490lb. I am thinking the watercooled would weigh even more. so maybe I could even come out even with the swap, or only gain a little from the weight of the 8-speed automatic transmission(same number of gears as a 5-6speed, just different circuits,hydraulic&electric)so my boxster would then weigh the same as a normal tiptronic boxster, but have twice the thrust.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

engine weight 2.5,3.2

found engine weights per din 7002A

2.5 182 Kg(402lb)

3.2 196 Kg(436lb)
Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #5

so I would add almost 100lbs of engine, or almost 300 lb feet of torque, which do you think will have mor effect on lap times?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

too tall to fit?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #7

if you look closely, although the overall hieght is fairly significant, remember it is only 20 inches long, and also look how high the crankshaft centerline is. a large portion of that height is below the centerline, which would be a ground clearance issue, more than anything. not a big deal, unless you have lowered your boxster significantly, or like to haul ass over speed bumps. but a dry sump oiling system with a large capacity, may be in order anyways to increase cornering ability without starvation, as well as increasing ground clearance, and just to increase oil capacity.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

definitely not as tall as 2.0 t porsche is talking about installing in new boxster. they must be going to redesign it to lay over on side.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #9

Garage
personally, unless you are going for the uniqueness factor it does not seem to be a very good Idea. Especially now with the porscharu conversion or brad Roberts LS boxster. with either of those you have cheaper motor, cheaper power, similar or less weight and also the convenience of being gasoline.
but that is JMHO
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #10

I recently spent a year at a ford dealership working on turbodiesels, and I do not know of any gosoline engines that you can make the kind of easy power upgrades that you can on these turbodiesels. they are a hacker's dream. a reprogram that you can download onto a sd card insert int a programmer and download to the pcm can gain 150hp with no modifications to the truck. other hacker mods I did were to eliminate egr, mainly for reliability, not for power gains. also arp head studs with factory multilayer steel head gaskets. I once tried the fire ring head sealing system, but it failed for unknown reasons. diesel is available everywhere, and the efficiency is great. the impact on the environment is not one of my first concerns, but it sounds good when your talking to a non-gearhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
personally, unless you are going for the uniqueness factor it does not seem to be a very good Idea. Especially now with the porscharu conversion or brad Roberts LS boxster. with either of those you have cheaper motor, cheaper power, similar or less weight and also the convenience of being gasoline.
but that is JMHO
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #11

porsche diesel already available in europe

wow just did some searching, and the cayenne is already available in europe with the 240hp 406lb-ft 3.0Tdi v6. Ruf has a reprogram to288hp,428lbft for 3850 euros. that's some expensive ones and zeds. a turbo mod and reprogram will cost you 7300 euro and net you 310hp,465 ftlb. this stuff should be available soon through us tuners for VW toureg or audi q7 with probably higher, if inflated figures for much cheaper, since we have many more trained hackers here to do that kind of stuff, so it looks like the v6 may be plenty of power with a few mods. hey, I still have a turbo sittin around from a 6.0L Ford diesel. it is of the same variable vane geometry, but the actuation is by oil pressure rather than electric. the 6.4L twin turbo setup is sequential, with te primary turbo having a variable geometry driven exactly as the audi's is, and I think I know someone with one of those stashed. now I just need to find a wrecked toureg, or Q7 diesel for sale at auction, or online, buy it and start my mad science. any igor applicants?

Last edited by autodoctor911; 09-06-2010 at 05:25 PM.