Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 04:55 AM   #1

Unhappy Dyno Report : GIAC DME Stage 3 Program on Boxster S

Disappointing results again

Attached is the dyno graph. Folowing mods are on my car :
- Dansk Sports Cat
- Dansk Headers
- Dansk Sports Muffler
- Evo Highflow Intake

When I sent my DME to Evolution Motorsports, I told them I had the above 4 mods on my car. They told me the stage 3 program (Evo intake, headers & muffler) will be the closest fit and that they would load my DME with that program.

Evolution Motorsports took about a week to get the program in place as they claim my DME is different from those in USA so require some additional 'tweaking'. Not a terribly big problem as my car was in the paint shop anyway. Got my DME back last week and drove the car for about 10 days before heading down to the dyno today.

Blue line - Today's run with GIAC program with all the above 4 mods
Red line - Run with stock ECU and all the above 4 mods
Green line - Run with stock ECU, Dansk headers and sports cat

As you can see, the run with the best results (bar > 6,500rpm) is actually the green line. Meaning the muffler, intake and GIAC was a waste of money

There is a noticeable sudden dip in power/torque between 5,800-6,000rpm. This greatly concerns me. One of the reason suggested is a lean out which forced the knock sensor to retard timing. Damn it! I'm not tracking my car till this issue is resolved!

Objectively, the GIAC program did help in bringing back power to area lost when I put the intake and muffler on the car. But this recovery simply brought it closer or on par with the green line run. Meaning I would have been better off not putting on the muffler, intake and the GIAC program which cost me about $2,200!

My peak bhp is now even lower than before!!

Overall, I'm quite or very disappointed with the results. I shall be contacting Evolution Motorsports to get a refund since they have a satisfaction guarantee that comes with their GIAC program. But I will need to send my DME back to them again to restore everything back to stock and that means a week of no car again Either that or I have someone to fly down here and get the DME custom tuned for my car on the dyno... I'm seriously considering that option.

Any suggestions people?

Last edited by clubhead; 04-19-2005 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Reduce size of attachment
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #2

Disappointing to say the least.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #3

Did you dyno the unmodified motor with the stock ECU? If so, please publish that curve so we can make the comparison. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #4

I keep reading posts on this forum and others that talk about how expensive mods are
for the Boxster and how little they do... I also read lots of sad stories like this one stating a
LOSS of HP after thousands have been invested.

Just proves to me that my stock engine with its stock intake, exhaust and ECU is the best I'm
going to get without a potential loss of cash AND power.

I'll save my pennies for a used 2005 S which I will buy in 2009 or 2010.
Sounds like a long time from now, but the older I get, the faster the years fly by and more
patient I become! I'll wait and get more power out of my next Boxster, which will be kept stock as well.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Lux

Wow. That really sucks. That dip in the 6K range is definitely not good. I still think that the parts have the potential to make good power. Obviously the tuning is out of whack. But how much out of whack is the question.

At this point, everything is a guess. You need cold hard facts to decide on a gameplan. I really think you need to get a proper air/fuel reading with your dyno runs. There's too many variables and guessing what to fix with 2/3rds of the info will only cause more frustration and a lighter wallet.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclocross
Did you dyno the unmodified motor with the stock ECU? If so, please publish that curve so we can make the comparison. Thanks.
Nope. The basedyno I did was stock ECU with Dansk headers. You can do a search for that in this forum as I posted the dyno report as well...
Old 04-19-2005, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I really think you need to get a proper air/fuel reading with your dyno runs. There's too many variables and guessing what to fix with 2/3rds of the info will only cause more frustration and a lighter wallet.
-
I was going to do that but there's really no point. Even if I found that the car is running lean, there's nothing I can do about it. I don't have a program to alter the fuel/ignition map. And I can hardly just tell Evolution Motorsports that I'm running lean at certain rpm so please increase the fuel at that rpm.

Like I said, I'm probably going to revert to stock and get someone to do a custom map on the dyno... Only issue is $$.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #8

Thx for sharing all this info. I'm not sure if I was reading this right but is your max hp 238 at the wheels? A bone stock S would have about 220hp at he wheels give or take because of the difference between tip/maunual parasitic driveline loss. That's pretty good if that is correct. It would still be nice to have a bone-stock baseline, but 220hp is probably pretty close. I calculated the driveline loss and it looks like you are making about 273hp at the crank which is pretty respectable. Like you said though, the GIAC programming didn't do squat. It looks like the Dansk headers and cats alone gave you the hp boost and perform as claimed. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Adam; 04-23-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #9

Yes, from the dyno, it's about 238bhp now. Used to be 239 before the GIAC program but that 1bhp is probably negligible

My 'baseline' dyno with Dansk headers is 223bhp if I remember correctly. Wished I had done 1 dyno under totally stock conditions though...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #10

End of the road...

Spoke to the person at Evolution Motorsports today. There's a full satisfaction guarantee on the GIAC program. I will just need to send my DME back to them to revert it back to stock and a full credit less shipping will be given to me.

There is no custom tuning services they offer. I did enquire about the possibility of having someone from EVO travel down to where I'm and tune the DME on the dyno but apparently, that is not possible.

Kinda ironic since if GIAC has a program to alter the fuel/ignition map, they would surely have the ability to custom each map to a car. Just a matter of cost. Oh well, looks like the end of the road for me....

Any suggestions will be most welcomed. There're a couple of pretty competant tuners here which I'm sure can do the job. Problem is getting the program to access the fuel/ignition map...

Sigh.... another week of living without the car again....
Old 04-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Lux

GIAC is custom tunable from what I understand. Obviously Evo can't do it without your car so getting your money back is a good idea. Did they offer any kind of guess as to why you're getting the results that you're seeing?

I believe there's a member on ppbb that has the exact setup as yours. He went on to dyno everything too and had much better luck. I think his name is Andy. You might want to do a search over there and talk to him.

Lastly, you might want to ping Garret @ GIAC. He might be able to offer some suggestions on where to custom tune over there or give some insight as to why you're seeing what you're seeing.

-
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
GIAC is custom tunable from what I understand. Obviously Evo can't do it without your car so getting your money back is a good idea. Did they offer any kind of guess as to why you're getting the results that you're seeing?
Lastly, you might want to ping Garret @ GIAC. He might be able to offer some suggestions on where to custom tune over there or give some insight as to why you're seeing what you're seeing.
-
Nope, the person that I liaised with, Mike Myers, was not the least helpful. He said that there's nothing that can be done and there's only the various off-the-shelf program for various stages. No offer to explain. He even tried to pull a fast one by telling me he warned me before I wanted to get the GIAC program that there would be minimal gains considering what I've placed in the car already??!!! I 'refreshed' his memory by reminding him that he told me I could probably expect gains of between 5-10bhp since I'm not compensating for fueling with my mods.

Like I said in my previous post, I even offered to pay for someone to drop my Singapore to tune the car on the dyno but he said that was not possible. No offer of explaination of why there's no gain was offered either. Just told me to send the DME back and get a refund, less shipping.

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed with Evo's level of service. I had to call 4 times and each time was told he's busy. Left messages 3 times for him to respond to my email. Email was sent before that with no response. Wasn't really expecting this kind of response but what the hell, at least I'm getting my money back.

How do I get in touch with Garrett? I did try writing to GIAC using their general enquiry email off the web but the response did not help. They basically said they did not have any program that cater for a sports cat in addition to the header/muffler/intake setup...
Old 04-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
Lux

Well, it sounds like you've exhausted (no pun intended) all options as far as Evo and GIAC are concerned.

There's 2 places here in the Bay Area that deal with Porsches and tuning them. Akkurat and Dynospot. You might want to call them and see if you can get some kind of guess as to why you're seeing what you're seeing. It's worth at least the phone calls.

Again, try to ping the guy on ppbb that has your setup and see what his story is...as I remember everything went smoothly for him and he got significant gains.

But other than getting someone to dyno tune your car on the spot, I don't think there's any other options. Good luck and keep us posted.

-
Old 04-27-2005, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
... Again, try to ping the guy on ppbb that has your setup and see what his story is...as I remember everything went smoothly for him and he got significant gains.
-
I gave up navigating the ppbb. The UI is just terrible. Not to mentioned because of the way it's setup, everything before the current month is archived

A guy over at Renntech has recommended Revo Technik which I explored previously. The good news this time round is they have an office in Singapore. I'm gonna call them tomorrow to find out more Hopefully custom tuning services will be offered.

I still gotta send my DME back to Evo to get my $795 back though
Old 04-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #15

Maybe I am too much an optimist, but from what I can determine, you got a pretty respectable power gain just through headers and sports cat with stock ECU.

I had been wondering how well the stock ECU would handle a header change and you seem to have confirmed that it is up to the job.

What kind of power gain were you expecting from the remapped chip? Relatively speaking, it would have to be almost as much as the "header + cat" to justify the price and hassle?

Although the sports muffler didn't seem to to do anything for you power wise, did it at least give a decent sound? If so, perhaps the sports muffler should just be considered as an aesthetic upgrade?

Thanks for the sharing your travails...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #16

That was what I was thinking. ClubHead has a tip equipped car and is pushing 238hp at the wheels with translates into approx 275hp at the crank.Wth basically just the headers and cats he made nearly 25 more hp. I think that is very good considering how unresponsive the flat 6 is to mods because it is already pretty tuned right out of the box. I will be starting a new job at Mid-America Motorworks in a couple weeks and I can get all parts at cost! I can't resist throwing on a set of dansk headers and cats now.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicati
...What kind of power gain were you expecting from the remapped chip? Relatively speaking, it would have to be almost as much as the "header + cat" to justify the price and hassle?
I'm looking at least slightly (3-6bhp) beyond what I had with just the headers & cats. I don't think that's unreasonable right? With a better calibration to fuel and ignition timing to cater for the better air flow, the car should make more power throughout the rpm range and just at the high end.

I'm still undecided whether I like the sound of my new exhaust. Its loud and draws attention but still not something I'm going crazy over
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
.... I will be starting a new job at Mid-America Motorworks in a couple weeks and I can get all parts at cost! I can't resist throwing on a set of dansk headers and cats now.
You lucky guy! What're you waiting for then? Oh yes, I guess the warranty issue for your relatively new car
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #19

Thankyou. Are you sure the headers and cats will void my warranty since they are just bolt-on mods? If I can retain my warranty and do the mods then I think it would be a no-brainer.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Thankyou. Are you sure the headers and cats will void my warranty since they are just bolt-on mods?...
I'm often told that cat-back mods will normally not affect warranty ie. you can only change your muffler. Changing anything forward of the cat, including the cat itself, is normally frowned upon by the OPC and may void your warranty. Best is to check with them directly.