Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

afe and evo intakes

hi, and welcome to trk's silly question of the day.

i'm looking at evo (and agency power) intakes and they replace the airbox with something less convoluted than stock. new maf body too, but keep the remainder of the stock intake pipe through to the throttle body (complete with resonance chambers, snorkles, etc.).

the afe intake replaces the pipe from maf to throttle body and removes all the sound-reducing obstructions there. it comes with a better filter as well.

does anyone sell a kit that does both (ie, so that i don't have to pay for the afe filter that i don't need with the evo air box?)? if not, why not - am i missing something?

cheers.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

golly, may have answered my own question:

linky

begs the question - why pay $200 + for a pipe and a filter from afe, when you can get the pipe only for $30 from fvd and add it to an evo intake ...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

a little info on my setup. I have the EVO. it was a big pain in the rear to install- the intake manafold has to be taken off - or - you have to break the OEM box into pieces. the sound is great, the HP increase is small (not really worth it), the filters are very expensive (80$), the box is cheap, it does not seal well and your cold air intake sucks the hot air from the motor, My intake air temp is 120-140. I worry all the time if the dust and crap from the road gets picked up in the intake because it is not a fresh air intake at all.

Now I cant reinstall the OEM box because I dont have 4 hours to devote to it and it broke a little getting it out.

I would pay 300$ to undo this mod, but no-one will touch it aside from the dealer and they want 500+.

My suggestion is to keep the OEM box and get a DRY high flow filter.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 06-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

on my tours through the net i've bumped into this several times - folks who log their intake air temps and are seeing way high temepratures with aftermarket cold air intakes.

i've also noted folks who have had the intakes 'misalign' with the side vent duct on the vehicle, reducing airflow (found it in a thread where someone was testing a pedro technotorque but got off numbers because of said misalignment of the intake?). having never istalled one i am uncertain if this is possible. another misalignment i've read about involves the poor mating with the engine cover which allows hot engine air in.

so, perhaps high intake air temps are caused by a misaligned install which obstructs side vent duct causing intake to draw from other places? otherwise, one has to ask, even with gaps that would allow engine air into the intake, why that air is getting in there? that is, air in the engine bay should be at a much lower pressure than air being forced into the side vent (being located at a high pressure area of the vehicle). so the only reason you are getting engine air in the intake is because the engine is asking for more air than the side vent can provide - which begs the question of what's better - hot air or no air?

my only other thought is that, with a larger airbox you have more air 'standing around' in dead corners, etc.; there is opportunity for this air to heat to engine temps before intake? probably not, but a generous application of insulation with reflective foil backing would sort that out.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
jhandy is a very wise and experienced Boxster owner. I trust his assessment of the aftermarket intake merits.

Want great intake sound? Go for it. Want hp increase or faster lap times? Ignore it.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Garage
JHandy is correct with regard to installing the Evo intake. It can be a total pain in the a**.
I chose to have the existing oem unit cut away rather than remove things around it . As far as performance is concerned, perhaps a slight "bump" in HP might be accomplished. However, it produces an awesome sound. And I suspect thats what appeals to most boxster enthusiasts. Personally, I have not had any problems with my Evo intake. I have it inspected regularly.