Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #1

Porsche Used car certification

Does anyone know what the 100+ points Porsche check as part of their used car certification program?

David

dacostad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to entdr1
Porsche Certification

I bought a 1997 Boxster last summer and had it "Porsche Certified" so that I could purchase a service contract on the car, good for FOUR years! I did it through our local Porsche dealer in Indianapolis. They had a full page of check points, and I bet that a dealership would give you a copy of the sheet. It took several hours, and cost me $80 to get the certification on top of the contract, but I wasn't going to buy the car if it didn't "pass." I'll look in my car and see if I have a copy of it. If so, I'll repost, and could fax you the points right from the page. It gave me peace of mind, as I don't have the ability to work on the car myself, and it was my first Porsche.

Thom
entdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #3

Talking

Porsche CPO certification is a different process than a Pre Purchase inspection. Are you thinking of buying a CPO Porsche from a dealer? If so, they should be willing to give you this info.

If you are buying a PPI from a Dealer, same thing. Each dealer would do their own version of a PPI.

Keep us posted.

Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #4

I have actually bought a CPO Boxster S from a Porsche dealer (pick it up tomorrow ) and was just curious as to what the check as part of the certification process.

I will ask them tomorrow.

David
dacostad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
They will give you a checklist. It's pretty comprehensive as far as checking normal items, but there were a few missing things that surprised me. If I was a dealer who was going to warranty a used high-performance car, I would perform leakdown and compression tests, for example, and this was not part of the CPO check. But I will say you made the right decision by going with a certified car. I also have a certified 1997, and sure, I paid quite a bit more for it, but the peace of mind, and the warranty (which I HAVE used in the short time I've owned it!) are worth it!

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote