Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

FDM Exhaust Mod

Like many of you, I have been continually searching for the perfect muffler for my beloved Boxster. As revealed here many times, almost all aftrermarket solutions either rob power or drone terribly or both. I had decided to do the PSE style mod to stock S muffler but I could not find anyone to do it for me. I'm no welder.

I read about FD Motorsports exhaust mod and contacted them. I had previously done the Crios mod to my muffler so I couldn't use it as a core return and I didn't want to be mufflerless for a couple of weeks. So, I bought a really nice Boxster S muffler off eBay for a little of nothing. I had it shipped directly to FD Motorsports who did their mods and powder coated it in Cerachrome. It looks and sound fantastic! It came out so well that they are using my muffler on their web page.
http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page441.htm

Darin Fister was extremely helpful and made this one of the easiest transactions I've had. Much thanks, Darin.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with FD Motorsports or anyone else for that matter. I am just a very happy customer with a great looking and sounding Boxster.

Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #2

That's really nice. If you get a chance, post up a video of yours.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

That sounds sweet

I just changed my stock 986 muffler out with FVD's (m&m) my stock muffler has 50k miles on it, no mods if anyone is interested $100.00 plus shipping.
lbrown2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #4

Sweet....how raspy is it or is it a deep flat six sound? Any drone?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #5

I think it sounds perfect. Way more "Porsche like" than stock. Absolutely no drone what so ever because it retains the stock dimensions. Sounds nice and deep at idle and at low RPMs. Gets nice and aggressive sounding at 4k and above but still not too loud at all. Even my wife think it sounds better and she hates loud cars. One of the best mods I've made.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #6

I have a similar modified muffler from Oettle on my '02 S (mines not as pretty), but then added Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes to really open up the sound...one of the best combinations I've heard (not just because it's my car) and many others in the P community have stated the same.

I highly recommend modifying the stock muffler, over purchasing an expensive aftermarket model.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I have a similar modified muffler from Oettle on my '02 S (mines not as pretty), but then added Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes to really open up the sound...one of the best combinations I've heard (not just because it's my car) and many others in the P community have stated the same.

I highly recommend modifying the stock muffler, over purchasing an expensive aftermarket model.
This is my thinking where does one get Oettle mod done?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

jaykay, your message box is full so I am unable to reply to your IM.

I'm not realy sure what, if anything, they do besides the bypass pipes. I tried to get a couple of muffler shops to do this for me but no one wanted to do it. That's why I went with Fister. I'm in Tennessee so I had to have it shipped from San Fransisco area myself. That's where Fister is located. Shipping was only like $70 or so. I did find a local place to do the Cerachrome powder coating but price was the same as Fister so I just had them do everything. As I said earlier, I'm very pleased with the look, sound, and service I got from Fister.

Best of luck,
Dino
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

This is my thinking where does one get Oettle mod done?

This muffler came from Germany, as Oettle is a german company; however, any competent welder can handle the modification. I happened to purchase mine from a fellow owner who paid the freight from overseas, but didn't install since he ended up selling the car for a 996.

If you search here and www.renntech.org, you'll see a number of owners that have successfully made the modification.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
jaykay, your message box is full so I am unable to reply to your IM.

I'm not realy sure what, if anything, they do besides the bypass pipes. I tried to get a couple of muffler shops to do this for me but no one wanted to do it. That's why I went with Fister. I'm in Tennessee so I had to have it shipped from San Fransisco area myself. That's where Fister is located. Shipping was only like $70 or so. I did find a local place to do the Cerachrome powder coating but price was the same as Fister so I just had them do everything. As I said earlier, I'm very pleased with the look, sound, and service I got from Fister.

Best of luck,
Dino
I'm another happy Fister customer: Darin did it while I was up ther for vacation, dropped the Box off in the AM and it was done by 2 Sounds great, with no drone...
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair
I'm another happy Fister customer: Darin did it while I was up ther for vacation, dropped the Box off in the AM and it was done by 2 Sounds great, with no drone...
Thanks good to know.....too bad I am up in Canada! Sounds like the turn around time is good. If you a sound bite to share that would be good! Did you bother with the coating...I guess not

I will have to sit with no muffler for a week+. Hmmmmm can one drive around with no muffler at least move the car without issues?.

....hmmmm straight pipies
Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair
Thanks good to know.....too bad I am up in Canada! Sounds like the turn around time is good. If you a sound bite to share that would be good! Did you bother with the coating...I guess not

I will have to sit with no muffler for a week+. Hmmmmm can one drive around with no muffler at least move the car without issues?.

....hmmmm straight pipies
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta

Nice I am pretty much going to have the same set up as you if I go through with it....can you still stand it on long trips??? Do you have any sound clips?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #14

....here is a picture my by-pass exhaust finally!

Here is a picture of my by-pass muffler.....finally.

The sound is fabulous! It is quite aggressive as I have secondary cat deletes feeding it. It has a GT3 bark on the throttle and a bit of a Ferrari burble/crackle on the over-run. After much deliberation, I decided to go with a black ceramic colour
Attached Images

Last edited by jaykay; 02-08-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #15
Carnut

Not fair!!! Now I want one as well!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #16

......a lot of hassle but if you like aggressive sports car sound, it's well worth it. I have had a lot of positive comments from people who deal with p-cars every day.