Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thx. Your intake opening should look exactly like mine, because mine's a 2001, and they didn't change it again until 2003.

You can definitely dremel down the sharp edge until it gets smooth. The sound is great, but I don't think dremeling the edge changes it much, the desnork itself adds a nice sound alone.

What I think would be interesting to do is to cut off the snork tube near the end where it meets the hole at the airbox and then either attach a curved trumpet like opening or fabricate one that will fit right into the hole as the original snork did. Short snork with a wide opening if you will...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 06-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #22

You got it! This is what I was thinking of.......but it just a little sneaker than this!

If it works out I will let you know....I think you will like it a lot!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #23

so i finally de-snorked ( i know, what took so long ) and since everyone always asks about before and after sound...

a totally unscientific, meaningless before and after. don't expect much with laptop speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzdnvW_oAA
Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #24

This mod didn't please me. I tried the de-snork just to see what happened. Sounds much like when we used to take the air cleaner off of 60s and 70s cars. Trouble is that the sound gets bigger than the "go". Kinda like a little riceburner that has exhaust that sounds like 600 hp but still has no go.
To each his own........ Enjoy it if you lioke it, but I would not expect that you'll feel more HP. I didn't.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #25

I De-Snorked mine today. I have a 98' and man was it a pane in the ass to get the vent off. In the process I was lucky enough to break one of those dame clips that are attached to the grill slits. The one I broke was the forward most to the front of the car. I reinstalled the deal and its a little more loose now but not that it will effect anything (I hope). I like the new sound of the engine now. Sounds great. AS for removing the vent I did research on it but it seems there is now easy way to get it off...I guess I'm lucky I only broke one clip
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by code7
AS for removing the vent I did research on it but it seems there is now easy way to get it off...I guess I'm lucky I only broke one clip
I had issues too, but it was only because I didn't follow directions. I tried to remove the vent and the outer housing as one piece instead of pushing the slats free before removing the casing.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
I had issues too, but it was only because I didn't follow directions. I tried to remove the vent and the outer housing as one piece instead of pushing the slats free before removing the casing.
You know I tried that first, but I was sure I was going to break one of the slats with my large developed phalanges muscles
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by code7
I De-Snorked mine today. I have a 98' and man was it a pane in the ass to get the vent off. In the process I was lucky enough to break one of those dame clips that are attached to the grill slits. The one I broke was the forward most to the front of the car. I reinstalled the deal and its a little more loose now but not that it will effect anything (I hope). I like the new sound of the engine now. Sounds great. AS for removing the vent I did research on it but it seems there is now easy way to get it off...I guess I'm lucky I only broke one clip
If you still have the broken clip you can repair it. If I remember correctly you can use actone to weld it back together, if tha doesn't work use CA glue. then get some 2 part epoxy to build around it for some extra support. of course put the epoxy in areas that won't interfere with reinstallation.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #29
JTP

Reading all the hype about desnorkeling, I decided to try it out. It all came out really easily. My engine was pretty hot so the vent and snorkel was nice and pliable. Nothing broke and the snorkel itself came out easily too. If you are having a hard time with it try going on a drive and warm things up.

It sounds cool but I'll propably put it back on in the fall when it gets colder.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #30

The main issue with airflow in engine intakes is usually not getting enough air.
If that was the case the all motors would just have huge intakes, throttle bodies and intake valves.

In the mid eighties engine designers learned that they could increase horsepower in certain ranges of engine RPM by tuning intake designs.
Air flowing into an engine is not like a water pipe flowing. The air in the intake is in a constant state of fluctuating pressure. Almost a vibration.
By tuning inlet length to a certain vibration frequency, You can increase intake pressure at that frequency. This can be compared to the resonators on a pipe organ.

Engine designers will often use this to fill in "flat spots"in the power delivery.

By removing the snorkel you could be creating dips in the power curve of your engine. This can be verified with a dyno chart showing dips at certain RPMs.
Then again, they also use these things to quiet induction noise. This might be done at the expense of proper flow.

So, if some one wants to do a proper dyno run with before and after charts, we might be able to see whats actually going on.

Otherwise, do it if you like the noise.
And remember louder doesn't always mean faster.
DonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #31

When I had my engine rebuilt (bought it that way), I had mine desnorkled as well as the resonator box removed. The wrench filled in the hole as well as smothed the filler so it was clean. I don't know what the car was before, but it does sound sweet now. The one upgrade I did that seems to make it better was the Sprint booster. The throttle respons is great and what I have noticed with two tanks of gas is an improvement in my gas milege. Close to 4 MPG/CDN better! I leave it in the sport mode.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #32

I've de-snorkeled twice now and replaced back to standard twice...
Its just my butt dyno, but I seem to be missing something in the 3-4000 rpm mid range. Nothing wrong with the sound - it just seems that I'm not getting as much torque with the snorkel removed. So I put it back in!!
Maybe its senile decay setting in....
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #33

Im getting my Ecu reflashed tommorow on the dyno,

would it be a good idea to do this mod 1st?

thanks guys

dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote