Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

OBDII Multi Guage

Has anyone installed something like this?

http://www.vividracing.com/blog/announcing-new-products-specials-and-info/brockway-engineerings-obdii-multi-gauge/

I have been looking for an OBDII tool, but I wanted something that stays hooked up all the time. This seems to do just that and it looks like a pretty slick installation; matching the factory LCD color.

Is there anything else out there that is similar?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

I prefer tools that can log data that can be plotted and analyzed later. I've found catching anomalies and trends much easier that way. For the price, I'd definitely expect logging and connectivity to a computer.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I prefer tools that can log data that can be plotted and analyzed later. I've found catching anomalies and trends much easier that way. For the price, I'd definitely expect logging and connectivity to a computer.

So what would you recommend?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Full featured:

http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx

Somewhat fewer data streams:

http://www.pocketlogger.com/?pid=obdii
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

I am aware of the Durametric stuff and it seems like most of that PocketLogger stuff is discontinued. Durametric is definitely the most in-depth, complete solution.

I was really looking for something i could leave in the car as a permanent/semi-permanent solution that doesn't look too aftermarket/ricey and integrates well into the overall look of the dash. Data logging would be nice, but i don't want to drive around or hook up a laptop all the time to check MPGs, AF ratios, voltage, etc. I guess I wouldn't really care to much if Porsche just left the OBD on the dash
(even though it didn't show all that much) for the later model 986's. I really don't want to deal with hacking it and it would be nice to have the ability read/clear any codes should they come up in the future. The Brockway Engineering unit seems like a nice solution for what i was looking for. I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it or something similar.

Thanks for the recommendations. Anything else come to mind? Anyone have reviews of the Brockway Engineering unit?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

So you're just looking for informational purposes? Why not just use the climate control diagnostics window?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/534109-climate-control-diagnostics.html
Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #7

Check out: http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html

I have this unit and it works pretty well.
It uses a wifi connection, not a cable.
I keep it attached to my OBDII port all the time.

There is an iPhone app to display and log the data (called REV).
I'm not that impressed with the iPhone app.

Their advanced unit + iMFD might fill your needs.
19" Rims (for show/bad weather)
17" w/Toyo R888's (for zooming)
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

I have just ordered the innovate OT-2 which sends OBDII data (plus any other innovate module data) to any wifi device (smart phone or laptop) can use as gauge, or log to your iPhone. I went this way as I want it to look stock (no extra gauges or displays), I want to be able to log data and I want to add my own sensors (have 2 widebands and a SSI-4 module to display/log nitrous and fuel pressure coming too)

Cant wait to hook it all up!

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
I have just ordered the innovate OT-2 which sends OBDII data (plus any other innovate module data) to any wifi device (smart phone or laptop) can use as gauge, or log to your iPhone. I went this way as I want it to look stock (no extra gauges or displays), I want to be able to log data and I want to add my own sensors (have 2 widebands and a SSI-4 module to display/log nitrous and fuel pressure coming too)

Cant wait to hook it all up!

Sam

That sounds awesome! Let us all know how it goes and how you like it. Seems like it is similar to the unit that MarkOfZero was using, but maybe the iPhone app is better.

Where did you get it and what did you pay?

Blue, i read through that thread and it seems very interesting that you can get info through the climate control. However, i am looking for something that can display information and still allow me to have the functionality of the climate control. Also, it sounds like a huge PITA because you have to scroll through and decipher with a chart what each reading is actually telling you. Something i dont think anyone should try while they are driving. I havent tried it yet, but I will play with it in the parking lot later. Also it doesn't allow you to check and clear codes. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #10

I have scan gauge tool 2. scangauge.com Works great and you are able to see your intake air temps and how terrible aftermarket intakes are..
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I have scan gauge tool 2. scangauge.com Works great and you are able to see your intake air temps and how terrible aftermarket intakes are..

I am actually borrowing a friends Scangauge II. It is a pretty cool little tool and it does a lot. Does yours have the Xgauge feature? I have been fiddling with the XGauge and got it to show horsepower; which is cool, but I'm not sure how useful it really is. I havent been able to get it to show any Air Fuel ratios but the O2 Sensor Values work. Anything else useful that you think i can pull out of it? I only had a few minutes to play with it at lunch.

Its funny what you say about the aftermarket intakes! Good to know for the future!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #12

I ordered my innovate stuff via eBay, no one really goes far under retail on there gear, but you can get free postage and they do sell packages with various kits.

Not sure how good the iPhone app will be, I'm sure it will be sufficient though. You can still use there pc software which is really very good.

OT-2 is $179 (iPhone app is free, pc software comes with it) and lc-1 widebands are $199 each. I got the external sensor box included at a good price and free shipping to Australia which was good.

Will let you know my thoughts and will post a fee pics or video when it's all setup!

Sam
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #13

Does any body have a scan gauge blue tooth dongle ....and have the display on their nav unit.........? Usually all my ideas have been done by someone but this one does not seem to be happening! This would be really clean and crisp!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #14

Hi all,

have been playing with my
OT-2 and are quite happy with it. OBD Data is very slow compared to when
I plug it into my girls 2007 ford, but is still very useful. I mainly wanted it for
external sensors anyway which are quite fast. Good fun little toy!

Sam
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
JTP

How has the OT-2 been working for you? Have they updated the applet since you got it? I've been looking into this and it looks really useful. Can you provide more details?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #16

I don't believe they have updated the app at all, but there isn't any need for them too.

What information would you like to know? It's been working a charm!
Sam
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #17

Garage
Anyone have a Oil pressure gauge ?

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote