Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Rear Wheel Alignment Needed?

I hate to post this embarrassing pic. I just happened to discover the tire wear this morning. The tires passed inspection a few months ago. I knew this summer I was going to buy new tires, but I took care of that at lunch today. I understand there will be SOME wear on the inside of the tire due to the camber in the rear wheels, but jeez this seems extreme. I couldn't compare it to the right side tire as it was replaced about a year ago and still had good tread (previous owner hit a road hazard). So here are my questions...

Could improper inflation (lower pressures) cause this? My former P-zeros were so rough I think I kept the pressures around 32 psi instead of the recommended 36 psi (rear).

Any common rear suspension issues for a 60k mile Boxster?

Do I "likely" have an alignment issue?

Can a regular alignment place do a Boxster?

Any special tools to align a Boxster?

I'm guessing for good piece of mind I should just bite the bullet and get an alignment anyway. I hate to fix anything unless I KNOW it's broke. Opinions please! and thanks!

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

BTW... This is potentially lethal!!!!!! So save your ass and go look at your tires

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #3

Smile wheel alignment

it's always a good idea to have an alignment done once you replace tires on our cars especially on a Boxster. We all are aware of the negative camber set-up so we all can expect much more wear on the inside.
in my case, just replaced my tires and noticed that there was more wear on the inner side on the driver side..
brought the car in at my buddies shop and hooked it up on the alignment lift and followed the manufacturer's specs... back was right on.. only slight adjustments on the front wheels....
With those new Michelin PS2's balanced and freshly aligned.. can't get any better!
t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Texomawaves, you wrote you expected "some" extra wear on the insides of your rear tires.

I expect a LOT of wear on the insides of my rear tires... and now you should too

What tire brand and type did you finally settle on, by the way?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and a much much smoother ride than the Pirelli PZeros I had.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Yes you should

get an alignment unless you want to wear out the new tires prematurely.

If you look at the alignment specs in your owner's manual, you'll notice that at least 2 of the settings have a range specified, not a fixed number. An expert at Porsche alignment will know the results of one edge of the range versus the other. One results in absolutely even wear, the other more grip for aggressive driving at the cost of additional inner edge wear. Since you chose A/S tires and you are from Texas, my guess is the more wear setting is the one you want your alignment to aim for as you didn't go for maximum summer grip tires but choose a more wear tire. And of course, watch the tire pressure.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

I have those on my MY99. They are quiet and smooth, and the grip isn't bad for an all season tire, but definitely not what you would call sticky. I have about 8000 km on them and there is very little wear, even on the inside edges.

I bought them for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted tires that would last for a couple of years while I spent money on the car in other areas. Secondly, I try and extend my driving season as much as I can, so there is a very good chance of getting caught out in a snow storm in the spring and fall and I wanted tires that could handle it.