Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Cat

Smile Tip gear change problem

Guys ,
I sure /hope the answer is here somewere ? Just changed the battery on my boxster (99 ) tiptronic , taken for a ride out and it now seems to be in some kind of safe mode!
Any ideas

Cheers

C

Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Why do you say that?

The Tiptronic will go into fault (safe) mode if a fault is present. It will indicate this by having the 4th Gear indicator flash.

If that's not happening, it's not in fault (safe) mode.

What's more likely the case is that you lost the adaptive memory when the battery was disconnected.

The Tiptronic S has adaptive software which adjusts the shift points to best match your driving style. It stores this data in volatile memory, meaning that if you disconnect the power supply (battery) the data is lost and the Tiptronic will operate according to it's default shift points until enough data of your particular driving style has been collected for it to adapt. This can take as many as 100 miles or so.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Cat

Thanks for info , but i think it might be a bit more serious !!! have just taken out again and the Emission control light now stays on and it has a massive misfire.
Was the battery replacement just a coincidence??? any ideas

Cheers
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #4

Get codes read.

I replaced the battery on my TIP equipped '01S and it was disconnected long enough for me to install a mounting plate and a battery. Probably 15 minutes. Never noticed any TIP-related odd behavior immediately after the change as the other poster describes. Sure the ECU has to relearn. And the Radio may need a new code. And the windows need to relearn. But other than that, nothing associated with the TIP was ever noticed when I did mine.

Get codes read via OBC2 port code reader. Borrow one. Buy one. Codes will tell us how to suggest you proceed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Garage
another way boxster goes into safe mode

I just learned, from Pedro, that putting any pressure on the gas pedal before or during start up will start the car in safe mode. To help eliminate possible problems, push on the brake when you start up the car, and it'll get it out of safe mode into a perfectly optimal state.

I thought I had a problem with my fuel injectors for months when in reality I was simply depressing the gas pedal upon start up, thus retarding the timing of the fuel injectors and ignition process. Huge difference now when I simply press on the brake as I turn the key to start.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianohawk
I just learned, from Pedro, that putting any pressure on the gas pedal before or during start up will start the car in safe mode. To help eliminate possible problems, push on the brake when you start up the car, and it'll get it out of safe mode into a perfectly optimal state.

I thought I had a problem with my fuel injectors for months when in reality I was simply depressing the gas pedal upon start up, thus retarding the timing of the fuel injectors and ignition process. Huge difference now when I simply press on the brake as I turn the key to start.
I believe that this only applies to the e-gas cars - '00 and up.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I believe that this only applies to the e-gas cars - '00 and up.

Cheers!
I have a 99 boxster, non e-gas.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Cat

Thumbs up

Cheers Guys ,

For the help , as I am new to this boxster stuff I re traced my steps !!
I replaced the battery and had just filled up with juice ahahah.
Did I read somewhere about the fuel filler cap needs to be on tight ?
Yup I think that was the problem , tightend fuel cap pit out fault codes all now seems well.......fingers crossed , what a plank.

Cheers

C