Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

DTC's

I did a test today after a few weeks of the engine light coming on and flashing but as quick as it started before i can pull over its off , well today i caught it on my pc , any ideas folks

PO15 OXYGEN SENSOR CIRCUIT NO ACTIVITY DETECTED BANK 2 SENSOR 1

PENDING

P0003 FUEL VOLUME REGULATOR CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
P0603 INTERNAL CONTROL MODULE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY (KAM) ERROR

Many thnx for any advice offered

sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #2

Sorry, but it just flabbergasts me that someone would have multiple flashing engine warning lights and continue to drive the car!

Just because the lights go out or don't flash every time does not mean there's not likely something seriously wrong with the car.

What were you thinking? That you'd try to ignore it and get away with it? That's a sure recipe for massive repair bills.

I'd try to avoid this in the future.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

LB's right— a CE light on all the time is probably an emissions issue. A flashing CE is a totally different story and not something you should take lightly.

If I were to have a flashing CE, even for a second or two, I'd shut off the motor, coast to the side of the road, and call a flatbed wrecker to tow the car to my mechanic.

In your case, it might just be a loose wire on a sensor, but there's no reason to treat a flashing CE light as if it were a minor annoyance. It always flashes for an emergency situation with your motor.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #4

Well now i feel like i was back at school there for 2mins..........................................: )

What was i thinking hmmmmm i was thinking something is wrong here perhaps, and going through the normal routes of trying to find out what and like all mechanics running the engine trying to get DTC's and diagnose the problem , i think thats what anyone would be thinking and also this is what they would do in any garage to try and fault find any issues.

Has anyone else actually got any idea where i start in replacing items here , i know i have got to now replace the oxygen sensor , but has anyone ever experienced the other pending 1's , which my thinking is that these are caused by the initial sensor problem.

thnx

Last edited by sheep; 05-06-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Hey, we're not scolding you... it's just surprising to me that you wouldn't take a flashing CE light very, very seriously.

What a technician would do would be to turn the key to the ACC position and put in a PST2 tool into the ODB and start reading fault codes before starting the engine and driving it around to get it to duplicate the codes. The last thing he'd want to do is trash the motor because he might lose his job over it.

The codes you're throwing are not just a fouled oxygen sensor (if this is indeed the case, by the way, you should replace all four, not just the one).

The 2nd and 3rd are codes you listed are not typical codes and I've not seen them posted by other members here on the forum. Hence, the strong words of concern for your current troubleshooting methods. You don't know LB or me well, but take our word for it when I say we've got your best interest at heart.

If I were you, I'd do some research on what those other codes mean and sort out the issues before you drive the car again.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

Hi Randall ty , no ive not taken offence i also should off added lol , yep i havent used the car since , it first illuminated 4-6 weeks ago so i plugged it in with the engine off and after using several different softwares got a return of no stored or pending codes , so i started the car and ran it with the OBD2 attached , up to normal running temp (approx 85) and then turned off and again while running and off i got no codes or concerns of any issues with the car , it was then only yesterday as i pulled up to my garage door that it started flashing so i quickly plugged it into the pc in the garage and managed to get the DTC's , the light had actually gone out again and everything was normal.

Once i got the codes i turned the car off and then just the ignition back on to be met with no mil light or stored or pending codes i didnt even do a clear so i am assuming that its an intermitant fault and that it could be either a dirty wire or a sensor is starting to go down the pan.

many thnx for your reply
sean
Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

"P0603 INTERNAL CONTROL MODULE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY (KAM) ERROR"

Does that mean the DME is failing? That might explain why the codes were clearing on their own.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep
Hi Randall ty , no ive not taken offence i also should off added lol , yep i havent used the car since , it first illuminated 4-6 weeks ago so i plugged it in with the engine off and after using several different softwares got a return of no stored or pending codes , so i started the car and ran it with the OBD2 attached , up to normal running temp (approx 85) and then turned off and again while running and off i got no codes or concerns of any issues with the car , it was then only yesterday as i pulled up to my garage door that it started flashing so i quickly plugged it into the pc in the garage and managed to get the DTC's , the light had actually gone out again and everything was normal.

Once i got the codes i turned the car off and then just the ignition back on to be met with no mil light or stored or pending codes i didnt even do a clear so i am assuming that its an intermitant fault and that it could be either a dirty wire or a sensor is starting to go down the pan.

many thnx for your reply
sean
wait til they catch ya spellin bad.....the cuties want to spank ya
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #9

Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Yimmy, you may have a very good point, by the way. Sean, pray hard that Yimmy is not right. I do not want to know what a new/salvaged DME would cost...
Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #11

yep thnx yimmy , yep took a peek 2nd hand is in the area of £300+ some were asking £500+ , im getting under her tomorrow and pray for a dirty connection seen as shes total original 2000 and still has the 00 pressure cap im concerned
Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #12

Okay i climbed underneath and had a look and inspected the wires to the sensors today , started it up no light and no codes sop i got her upto temp and checked again nothing so i went for a slow and steady drive again nothing even after blowing away an aston martin and returned home no codes or lights , so i assume it must of been a dirty connection.

Thnx for all advice & suggestions