Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Issue with radio (CDR-220 or amp?)...

Just bought a 2001 Boxster and having issues with the CDR-220 radio. The right channel level is much lower than the left (at least listening to the speakers on the dashboard). Everything was working just fine yesterday; popped in a CD this morning, started up the car, and noticed the lower volume.

Not sure if the issue is with the amp, wiring, head unit, or speaker. I did a little googling and couldn't find any type of schematic which might help me narrow down the problem. I believe the amp is in the front trunk, behind the spare. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start (or even where I might be able to find a schematic)?

Thanks,
Ron

rrappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

Sounds like your head unit's on the way out. They're notoriously troublesome. If you determine that's the case, junk it and get something aftermarket. $200 at Crutchfield will get you something far better off than the Becker.

The Bentley shop manual has a schematic. There's a lot more you'll use it for as well. This is by far the best price:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=spoffers&do=amazon
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the info gschotland. I actually really like the head-unit and figured I might try to find another CDR-220 if that's the problem I'm having.

I also appreciate the suggestion and link you provided on the Bentley manual. I decided to order it.

Ron
Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

The nice thing about the CDR-220 is that at least it looks like it belongs in the dash, even if the sound isn't the best. I bought my box with some aftermarket Pioneer unit with blue lights and just having to look at it bugged me so much I sourced a CDR220 (paid way too much for it) so my dash didn't look like crap. I rarely if ever turn on the radio anyway - much prefer the sound of driving.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #5

check the fade and balance functions on the head unit in the CD mode. IIRC, CD/R-220 units have a memory based on source for bass, treble and loudness. Might also be ones for balance and fade.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion Burg. Yes, you are right about remembering the balance setting for the different sources. Unfortunately, the volume is still low on the right channel compared to the left when the balance is set to center in any of the sources.

I took a quick look at the amp in the trunk and am still trying to figure out how to even take it out without removing some trim pieces inside the trunk to get at one of the screws that hold the bracket (the right one).

Ron
Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #7

Quick followup on this...

I was able to find the HAES 4 channel amp used in my Boxster on Ebay. I figured this would at least confirm if the problem was due to the amp or the head unit. Today I tried swapping out my amp with the one I bought on Ebay; sound still very low in the one channel, telling me the amp is just fine . So if I want to stick with the OEM sound system, next step is to find a replacement CDR-220 head unit. Also, if anyone out there is looking for the HAES 4 channel amp used in the 2001 Boxster (it's the non-MOST system), I'd like to sell the one I just bought since unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

Thanks,
Ron

P.S. The Bentley manual is a fantastic resource!