Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Fabspeed vs NHP cat-bypass pipes

I have been looking into upgrading to a set of cat-bypass pipes for my 2003 Boxster S and was wondering if anyone had an opinion one way or the other on whether to go with Fabspeed or NHP. I have notices a few differences that I like/dislike about each:

I know that many people have had good things to say about the Fabspeed pipes so I expect they would be a great choice, but in every picture I have seen it does not look like the pipe bends are exactly the same as factory. Will this cause any problems with the exhaust being to close to other components (i.e. CV joints)? Is there an advantage to them being slightly different than stock (better flow)? And they also do not appear to have any sort of heat shield to protect other components if it does comes too close. Is an exhaust wrap recommended?

I like the heat shields on the NHP's, and they look to follow the exact pipe bends of the factory pipes, but from the pictures I have seen look to have the O2 sensor holes which I dont need for an '03. Not sure if its just a generic pic they put up for all model years, but I wouldn't want to have to plug something I don't need. Also if I do have to plug them, is there any issue with it causing more turbulance in exhaust flow? Also I haven't actually read as much about anyone using these. Are they a good fit and quality?

Other than these differences that I have noticed from pictures, they both look like good choices. Both are stainless, mandrel bent, come with hardware, about the same price, and appear to be the same 50mm diameter (i think). I would assume that they sound and perform the same, but again i could be wrong. Any opinions?

If anyone else knows anything about these I should know before making a decision or has a recommendation for a different brand, please let me know.

Last edited by gwoodburn; 04-28-2010 at 12:04 PM.
gwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #2

I like my Fabspeed's!! Wouldn't go anywhere else. Sound is awesome, especially with a PSE.

They might throw you some free shipping. They did for me. While your at it, order a BMC air filter from them. Adds better flow and a little hp.

I have a video on youtube if you want to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEOcosW8Eg

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
I like my Fabspeed's!! Wouldn't go anywhere else. Sound is awesome, especially with a PSE.

They might throw you some free shipping. They did for me. While your at it, order a BMC air filter from them. Adds better flow and a little hp.

I have a video on youtube if you want to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEOcosW8Eg

I have seen your video before. Sounds great and I have no question that they would sound good on my car

Did you do the install? If so, how did it go and how does it fit? Are my eyes not deceiving me that the Fabspeed pipes are not bent the same as factory pipes? Does this cause the pipe to come unusually close to anything that could possibly have a problem with the heat of the exhaust? I know it is very tight under there and I am kind of worried about how close they come to hitting something or if heat is an issue.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Garage
i went to a muffler shop and had them bend some pipe the same shape as the cats that i took off. cost me 40 dollars, sounds great and took me very little time to install. if you dont mind forking over a few more bones you can even get them to weld it to a triangle flange just like fabspeed.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodburn
Did you do the install? If so, how did it go and how does it fit? Are my eyes not deceiving me that the Fabspeed pipes are not bent the same as factory pipes? Does this cause the pipe to come unusually close to anything that could possibly have a problem with the heat of the exhaust? I know it is very tight under there and I am kind of worried about how close they come to hitting something or if heat is an issue.
I installed my fabspeeds myself, if everything goes w/o a hitch maybe 4 ~ 6 hours.
Well, I needed a few days (see below)
1) Dependent on how much rust is on the bolts you might want to have some WD40 soak in overnight.
The pipes don't come close to anything to create a heat problem.
2) The weird thing with my car was that one pipe had to be cut by about an inch to fit, but I remember that I had similar fitment problems when installing a GHL muffler, so I almost think that there is something odd with my exhaust piping.
3) Oh yes: You will be able to re-use 5 of the 6 bolts that connect the primary cats with the secondary cats, but you'll need to buy one extra:
5 of the 6 bolts are just bolts while the 6th bolt is welded to the pipes for the secondary cats (don't ask me why)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #6

Garage
here is a video of my cat delete in action

sorry about the quality. these pipes cost me 40 bones and I have a debuloz muffler.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

well considering they are both empty pipes, I can imagine why one would be better than another.
Why would they sound or perform different. I have fabspeed, only because the NHP was not sold at the time. I went to a muffler shop and asked them to make me a pipe, and they refused because it removes a cat and for some reason that it illegal. Fabspeed pipes are way too expensive for what they are, that said they sound, fit and perform great.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

lobo-

sounds cool!! great little video..eveni f I canonly the see the cars behidn you, I culd hear it fin!

i like that. how did you get a mufler shop in CA to do the work for you? since most of them are so uppity about changing anythign to violate smog..

did you take the pipes off and hten have them bend pipes the same shape...and you did the uninstall / install...or did hte shop do all the work for you?

is yours a 2.5 / 2.7 / or 3.2?

sounds awesome. i like hte muffler sound...does it drone a lot?

did the sound of your exhaust change much after you put on the b ypass pipes? or did it sound not much different...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Matt Fredrikson
I've looked at a few options and decided I'm going to have a set custom fabbed. The speed shop that did all the custom work on my Talon is going to do it for me. I just can't justify spending the money on fabspeed pipes when I can have a custom SS mandrel set done for half the price.
Matt Fredrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #10

Quote:
I have seen your video before. Sounds great and I have no question that they would sound good on my car

I had my dealer do it because I'm friends with the GM and they are pretty good to me overall. They pipes installed fine and do not cause any problems with regard to heat / exhaust. Actually they really clean up the area. The stock secondarys are huge and heavy, so you're going to pick up some weight savings getting rid of them.

I suppose you could have somebody fab you a set if your tight with a pipe shop, but they need to be familiar with the mandrel bending process and welding of stainless steel.

There is no one with that ability where I live, plus I'd rather pay a little more for sound and security knowing that there is a warranty in place if a weld cracks where you will have to provide a triangle flange to mate back up to the headers.

Fabspeed's products, although perceived as expensive here by some, are high quality with great customer service and warranty to back it up.

I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for, and this company delivers.

I wish their headers were a little more cost effective and I would have done the entire deal, but I like turbowerx ones better and will go that route at some point....just need to do them and get a row reflash when you install to get rid of the cel's.

Jon

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
lobo-

sounds cool!! great little video..eveni f I canonly the see the cars behidn you, I culd hear it fin!

i like that. how did you get a mufler shop in CA to do the work for you? since most of them are so uppity about changing anythign to violate smog..

did you take the pipes off and hten have them bend pipes the same shape...and you did the uninstall / install...or did hte shop do all the work for you?

is yours a 2.5 / 2.7 / or 3.2?

sounds awesome. i like hte muffler sound...does it drone a lot?

did the sound of your exhaust change much after you put on the b ypass pipes? or did it sound not much different...

mine is a 2.7 and im trying to get a setup where i can leave a mic at that location over the muffler and put my camera (HD HERO) in a more interesting (usefull) spot but if you wanna see how the camera works you can check out some of my other youtube vids.

now as far as the pipes are concerned i just brought cash... which i hear is king.

as far as sound it is much louder but it is nice and raspy. drone is mostly gone it was moved to low RPMs around 2000 on the highway. which for me is rare so it doesnt bother me. it used to drone right at cruising speed before the delete so that was also a great benefit (albeit luck)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #12

I thought about doing that as well, but i have been hesitant to do so because I read that the materials (stainless steel) and labor could end up being about the same price, maybe a little less. However, I havent actually called anyone. I know of a shop in my area that builds custom roll cages so maybe I will give them a call.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #13

When I got the car, I had to rebuild the axles. Instead of disconnecting the suspension to get the axles out, I dropped the mid-pipes. So I am well aware of these stupid welded bolts. I already went through the process of cutting and grinding them off when i broke one of the rusted bolts trying to get it out leaving me with no other option. It was a real PITA, but i still think it was easier than disconnecting the ball joint on the wheel carrier.

So you had to cut one of your pipes? had your car been in an accident that would cause the exhaust piping to be wacky?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
well considering they are both empty pipes, I can imagine why one would be better than another.
Why would they sound or perform different. I have fabspeed, only because the NHP was not sold at the time. I went to a muffler shop and asked them to make me a pipe, and they refused because it removes a cat and for some reason that it illegal. Fabspeed pipes are way too expensive for what they are, that said they sound, fit and perform great.

Im not sure, but does a 2002 have the primary cats on the headers? I know that with earlier models the primary cats are on the midpipes which would explain why the shop did not want to remove it. Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

Garage
after 2000 they had 4 cats 2 on the headers and 2 on the mid pipes. so its a double whammy
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
after 2000 they had 4 cats 2 on the headers and 2 on the mid pipes. so its a double whammy
Double whammy indeed.

I knew it was either 2000 or 2003 that they made the change.

I just dont think jhandy's guy knew what he was talking about or understood how the car was set up. The midpipe cats are pretty useless and I really dont see why it would be illegal to remove them. MY97-MY99 only has one set so what would be illegal about changing MY00-MY04 to have only one?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
So you had to cut one of your pipes? had your car been in an accident that would cause the exhaust piping to be wacky?
Not that I am aware of. I bought the car with less than 15k miles and carfax was fine.
Also if you eyeball everything it checks out fine. Kind of a mystery
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #18

....I had to cut one of my pipes too
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #19

I installed Fabspeed bypass pipes a few years back...no rusted bolts and the fit was perfect, once you loosen up the muffler U-pipes. My car only had about 13k miles at the time, so it was quite an easy job.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote