Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
Yoslack

Coolant

I have a 1998 boxster and in need of coolant. Do I have to buy it from the dealer or can I use the one from the parts store? All I know that it uses the red type of coolant just not sure if I have to use the coolant from dealer maybe has some special additive or something.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:22 AM   #2

Talking Coolant

I have read about this over at PPBB and you have to use Porsche's coolant or the equivalent thereof. Available of course at your local dealership.

Something off the shelf at your local car parts store will not do the job and you run the risk of doing some damage as I recall.

I'd do a search of the archives over there at PPBB for "coolant" to be sure you get the right information though.

Nice to see someone posting. Now if Jorge would get off his lazy kiester and take down the Christmas wreath (hint, hint), maybe things would pick up here again.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #3

There is nothing special about the coolant approved by Porsche. It must be ok for aluminum, as the block and heads on all current Porsche models are made of aluminum. But this was also true for the 924 - 968 series, and the 928. The older cars used GM Dex-Cool approved coolant as it does not have phosphates which eat aluminum. Same is true for the Boxster. Porsche does not make coolant.

I contacted Chevron/Texaco in the US, which owns 50% of the euro company that makes the coolant sold by Porsche under the Elf/Arteco brand. Chevorn/Texaco then contacted their euro partner.

The link is to my post. Meets the performance requirements of Porsche but "not yet approved." If Chevron/Texaco paid money to Porsche I bet their US sold coolant would be approved - but that will never happen as Chevron/Texaco owns 50% of the company that makes the Porsche coolant and they would be competing against themselves. If the chemicals in the coolant are the same - then it is the same.

Porsche approves several different brands of oil - but my rear trunk lid has a Mobil 1 sticker on it. I'm sure Mobil paid Porsche for that sticker.

That is my rant. Jeff

http://www.babblers.org/board/archive.pl?read=22497

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote