Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
In my opinion, a Lexus for city commuting is the most comfortable car one can own and it has some status attached to it, which is important in HK.
A Lexus is nothing when you're living in a city where it's the highest ratio for number of Rolls Royces/Bentleys per square mile.

And mainland chinese people love their Mercedes (S500, must be in black), and Buick.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #22
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Agreed. For prestige, a Lexus would not cut it there. You'd have to run with a large Benz, Bimmer, or Bentley/Rolls...with a driver, in order to look proper. LOL. The image of Lexus, while a terrific car, is still of a Toyota.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #23

No garage space, but this HK resident certainly knows how to leverage the square footage of his 300 square foot apartment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

Yes, I agree about the MB... but it won't have as nice a ride as the Lexus, setting aside the prestige factor.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #24

Hi

Over in my small little country in singapore , i used the Boxster S as my daily beater , though i have another VW polo at home, used to drive a Lexus RX before i change to this , enjoy every moment with the boxster S ,
just to share , over here , our cars are amount one of the most expensive in the world ,
for reference , a 10 years old boxster will set you back by around 73K usd , and a brand new boxster S @ around 220k Usd , even a normal basic E200 Kompressor will cost you , 160k usd .
Thats how expensive our car is over here in our sunny little island .
On average , 4 out of 10 people owns a car here , the rest will have to take our so call world class public transport .
One thing good is our little island's road is smooth like butter , no portholes or uneven road , and you can see those indians foreigns worker trying to mend the alry very nice road , during 2am in the morning almost everywhere and everyday in my country .
brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #25

Garage
Brabus

Just returned from Singapore and agree on the cost, paid about $30.00 for a Sling at the Long bar!

But must say it is one of the cleanest cities (along with safety) I have ever been too, enjoyed my stay greatly.

I do not think I ever saw a car that was over five years old let alone ten years

For the original post, have you considered swapping out seats for something of more comfort ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabus
Over in my small little country in singapore , i used the Boxster S as my daily beater , though i have another VW polo at home, used to drive a Lexus RX before i change to this , enjoy every moment with the boxster S ,
just to share , over here , our cars are amount one of the most expensive in the world ,
for reference , a 10 years old boxster will set you back by around 73K usd , and a brand new boxster S @ around 220k Usd , even a normal basic E200 Kompressor will cost you , 160k usd .
Thats how expensive our car is over here in our sunny little island .
On average , 4 out of 10 people owns a car here , the rest will have to take our so call world class public transport .
One thing good is our little island's road is smooth like butter , no portholes or uneven road , and you can see those indians foreigns worker trying to mend the alry very nice road , during 2am in the morning almost everywhere and everyday in my country .
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #26

I have used to Lexus RX for traviling.It was so expensive but It has so cool.I have used to travell in my sweet country and It has run on road as like butter and sound like spring checked.I like it this movement.It give nice average.I love it.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354
Brabus

For the original post, have you considered swapping out seats for something of more comfort ?
It's not only the comfort. The roads here are destroying the car. I just paid a grand US to replace broken front suspension parts.

It's not like I'm caning the car over the bumps. My average speed according to the computer is 43 kph.

Randall, no offence but Lexus doesn't do it for me. Or Merc. I've owned a coupe of Beemers (2002 tii and 325i) so I may consider another.

I actually test cars for a living. Not a living, really, as it doesn't pay much, but I do get paid to write about them. Best car I've tested recently was a VW Polo with 7-speed DSG. Apart from the Maserati GranTurismo 4.7, that is. That's out of my price range.