Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Garage
Glass in oil filter?

So i changed my oil today and when i cut open my filter there were what seemed to me little pieces of brown glass in the filter.

Now Im not saying that is what it actually was... but it was transparent, brown and fairly sharp like little glass shards. anyone got any ideas? i know it sounds a lil wild but im just calling it as I see it. I would have taken some pics but really it wouldnt have helped cuz it would have just shown small brown specs.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #2

It could be the variocam chain tensioner guides, they are known to wear and possibly fail. How many miles is on your car?
Rdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #3

Garage
true but would it be a clear shard? there are 60200 miles
Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #4

Assuming you're not drinking brown bottle beer when changing the oil, it's not glass, it's 'varnish', a by-product of gasoline as it chemically breaks down. Unburnt fuel does end up in the oil as do pieces of varnish that break free from interior surfaces of the engine - it's why oil contains detergents. They circulate to the filter and are captured. Perfectly normal.

You can confirm this by placing the pieces in a saucer filled with a solvent, even alcohol. Leave it overnight and you'll find that the 'glass' magically disappears.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

Garage
good. I was hoping it was something to that effect but honestly I didnt know what. other than those specs the filter looked clean no metal or plastic. its a good sign (i hope) for a box around 60K miles. thanks for the help
Old 04-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #6

For about $23 you can send your used oil out to a lab for analysis (Blackstone for example). A cheap way to build a database on the "health" of your engine.

I just pre-purchased 6 tests from Blackstone for about $19 each, this will last me 3 years, since I do oil analysis on both cars at the yearly oil change prior to winter hibernation. They are having a price increase soon.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote