Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Installed stage 3 clutch with LWFW. Do you have this set up?

Hey,

I recently installed a greedy stage 3 clutch (made by sachas) and a Aasco LWFW and im having a hard time adjusting to it. When I try to do a regular take off without reving high it makes a rough sound/feel I guess its the clutch gripping at low rpms so it kinda feels like its about to stall, but its so rough. So lately ive been reving high and slowly releasing the clutch for a better take off and seems to work. For those who have this set up. does this sound about right? I feel like im killing the transmisson,,,,,

Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

First of all, it's "GReddy," not greedy, and "Sachs" not sachas. I also did not know that Sachs was making anything other than a stock replacement clutch for these cars, so I'm curious what you have exactly.

That being said, what you describe is typical of a performance clutch. In order to have higher torque holding ability, they are grabbier. If you're on a stock motor, and driving on the street, there is no reason at all to have a higher spec clutch.

As far as what you're killing, you're burning the clutch up, not doing a thing to the gearbox (unless you're just sidestepping the clutch for a burnout all the time).

Finally, there's the question as to whether or not it's a good idea to use run a single mass flywheel without a harmonic damper and a fully balanced engine. Also, do you know if your clutch disc is sprung or solid? If solid, that's really bad news...
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
2001 RUF 3800S

It was 4am when I did the post.

Theres a clutch place in my city which gets the Sachs clutch and rebuilds it accordingly to what stage one would like.

The reasoning behind my choice of clutch is because I will be installing a turbo kit on my car next spring.

I understand the problems that comes with buying a LWFW. I did extensive research on it. And thats why I made sure to purchase a sprung loaded clutch.

Thank you for your input.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #4

Well, good that you have a sprung disc at least. Still curious as to the actual make up of the components in your kit, however.

As for the turbo, we'll see how long your motor lasts
Old 04-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
My clutch is still stock but I have driven cars with a similar LWFW/performance clutch setup. My impressions: Very precise shifts at the track, major PITA driving around town. Probably something I would choose only for a dedicated race car.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #6

A Stage 2 or 2+ is fairly streetable, stage 3 and up gets to be a bit less friendly. Again, it's all about whether or not you actually need the added holding capability.