Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

DME over-rev counter question

HELP!

I am looking at CPO 987 Boxsters, and one that I am interested in is a 2005 S, with low mileage (9500) and it is CPO'd by Porsche. I received the DME printout today Who can help me make some sense of this?

# of ignitions: Range 1 - 444, at 279.2h
Range 2: 2 ignitions @ 157.2h
Range 3: 2 ignitions @ 157.2h
Range 4: 1 ignition @ 157.2h
Range 5: 1 ignition @ 157.2h
Range 6: 1 ignition @ 157.2h

Total hours 293.4.

OK, so Range 1 doesn't bother me because that's right at redline (If I am not mistaken) and because 444 ignitions is practically nothing - a few seconds, correct? Bump the rev limiter 4 times in the car's life and you're there. Again, range 2 and 3 aren't TOO high, and the number of ignitions is so tiny. 4,5,6 are bad ranges as I'm told, but what is with just 1 ignition in each?? Is that reliable, or spurious? What do you guys make of this?

I haven't spoken to any Porsche service personnel or independent techs, about it yet.

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #2

as I understand it, Range 4 and above over-revs are grounds for voiding warranty coverage by PCNA (CPO or OEM). Yes, I understand it's only 1 ignition (a seriously quick catch on an almost serious $-shift) but it is in the range and all the way up to 6 .

At the very least, you'll want a signed letter on the dealers stationery stating these over-revs occured prior to CPO certification. IMNSHO though, there are too many 986s and 987s out there which in all likely-hood do not have over-revs to risk picking one up that has them. Good luck in your search.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Something seems fishy... I have hit range 5 (OOOPS!) but did not get into 6. The fact there is only 1 ignition in the last 3 ranges seems highly improbable. That means you hit over 9,000 rpm for less than 1/150th of a second. there should be more in the rest of the ranges if someone truly hit range 6.

I have heard of accounts of over-revs listed on cars strait from the factory. I would get a written statement from the dealer stating that they would honor the warranty with those listed over-revs. Honestly, its not that bad. I've got over 80K on my 05 with no problems past needing a motor mount.

-Greg
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944boy
Something seems fishy... I have hit range 5 (OOOPS!) but did not get into 6. The fact there is only 1 ignition in the last 3 ranges seems highly improbable. That means you hit over 9,000 rpm for less than 1/150th of a second. there should be more in the rest of the ranges if someone truly hit range 6.

I have heard of accounts of over-revs listed on cars strait from the factory. I would get a written statement from the dealer stating that they would honor the warranty with those listed over-revs. Honestly, its not that bad. I've got over 80K on my 05 with no problems past needing a motor mount.

-Greg
Yeah, it is odd - it just seems improbable that there could be a solitary ignition in each of the last three rev ranges. Plus, if it did happen, it happened about 5000 miles ago judging by the hour # and # of total miles and hours on the car, and everything is fine. The car seems strong to me...
And yet, I looked at another CPO 05 S today with 54,000 miles, and it had almost identical # of ignitions in range 1, and zero in each of the rest.

I think the bottom line is that this issue will not be determinative of which car I buy.

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote