Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #1

AVS ES-100 Came apart at 70MPH!!!

You know the old joke that starts out..... A funny thing happend to me on the way work today. Well while makeing my morning drive down to the Med Center I felt a strong pull to the right along with a bad vibraton that just got worse. I pulled of the frwy ASAP to the nearist gas station and to my surprise the right rear tire had completly seperated from the rim. I must be one lucky SOB no apparent rim damage and no damage to the body!!!!!!

Mike

MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #2

Mike, I noticed you live in Houston... so do I.

There's another forum contributor that works downtown and lives out west. We are planning to get together this weekend at Memorial Park, just to say hello and show each other our cars.

If you'd like to meet us Sunday afternoon, PM me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:50 AM   #3

Ouch, I have AVS sports... hopefully I'll have better luck than that.Thank god nothing happened to your car though.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #4

The funny thing is I have been shopping for tires, I knew the rears were in bad shape and the 1 1/2 sheet rock screw I found in it didn't help any. Any one know who in Houston carries a good inventory of tire's and has a Hunter 9700 tire balance machine?

Mike
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #5

Mike, call Eric at Eurocar Werks in SW Houston.

Eurocar Werks, (713) 661-6428

My buddy takes his 944 Turbo there and he loves them. I bet they have the balancing equipment you are looking for. Eric told me last year that their equipment spins the tires over 90 mph to check balance, versus others who barely make it to 65 or 70.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #6

After I bought my '99 Box, I drove to a gas station to gas up for the 500 mile drive home. Just as a precaution I checked the air pressure in the tires (18" Continentals), and immediately began cussing the worthless gas station air pressure gauge because it claimed the two rear tires had less than 15lb in them, whereas by eyeball they looked prefectly fine. I dribbled a little air into them, and the pressure on the gauge started to go up!
After pumping up the tires, I drove home and two days later the tires were down to 15lbs again. Examination showed nails in both tires, one of which had been run flat and required replacement.
The point here is that these ultra-low profile tires have such stiff sidewalls that they can be almost flat and still LOOK perfectly fine.
Taught me a lesson, anyway.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #7

Well I just got back from replaceing all four tires I went with the AVS ES-100
again couldn't find anybody in town that had the size's I needed in a diff brand. It drive's better then before. On inspection the remaining three tires all had 41 PSI in them the left rear was so bad, bald in the middle with with a big V. The inside edge was almost gone. The left front also had the inside edge almost gone. I see an alignment in my future!!!!

Mike