Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Tuning Packages

Hello,

I have looked around for some time, and can't really seem to find a straight answer to this question:

How does one tune a modern (7.2 or 7.8 DME) Porsche ROM image? For example, on my Pontiac GTP I use a small box, software on laptop, and OBDII cable to read, write, and real-time log basically everything on my car. I can adjust everything from "timing vs. cylinder volume vs. rpm" to at what throttle percentage my air conditioning turns off.

Is there a platform like this for our Porsche vehicles? Obviously, there are companies offering dyno'ed tunes and out-of-the-box tunes, so the DME must have been cracked.

Where would one go about finding more information on getting one of these packages? I am decently experienced in this type of tuning, and would prefer to be able to work on my own custom flashes. I am currently putting a VarioCam Plus 3.4L into my 986 Boxster and I would love to be able to dial my MAF in exactly to my hybrid intake, etc.

Thanks,

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

Garage
From my limited time with Porsche tweaking I do not believe that the level of owner tunability that you are seeking is available.

The Porsche DME seems to be more of a black box set up than what is available for other brands.

I have a 3.6L vario engine in my 01 Boxster and it is currently running the 3.6 X51 maps and works very well. The DME had to be sent out and tuned by a shop that has all of the high dollar software and the price is not cheap.

It would be nice if the megasquirt level of control was out there but as far as I know it does not exist.

There are DIY flashes in the aftermarket but they do not allow you to customize your set up very much.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah
Hello,

I have looked around for some time, and can't really seem to find a straight answer to this question:

How does one tune a modern (7.2 or 7.8 DME) Porsche ROM image? For example, on my Pontiac GTP I use a small box, software on laptop, and OBDII cable to read, write, and real-time log basically everything on my car. I can adjust everything from "timing vs. cylinder volume vs. rpm" to at what throttle percentage my air conditioning turns off.

Is there a platform like this for our Porsche vehicles? Obviously, there are companies offering dyno'ed tunes and out-of-the-box tunes, so the DME must have been cracked.

Where would one go about finding more information on getting one of these packages? I am decently experienced in this type of tuning, and would prefer to be able to work on my own custom flashes. I am currently putting a VarioCam Plus 3.4L into my 986 Boxster and I would love to be able to dial my MAF in exactly to my hybrid intake, etc.

Thanks,
ECU "tuning" for Porsches is both a science and a "black art". Essentially, the Porsche world of ecu tuning consists of a number of companies that offer "programs" that are model specific for Porsches. Some of the better "tuners" have their own in-house technicians that can create "programs" that are tailored to the client's individual needs. For example, taking into account specific modifications that were made to their vehicle. However, as far as a software system that allows for hands on owner implementation is concerned, that I am unfamiliar with.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-16-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #4

So are each of these tuning companies cracking the binary code themselves and independently, or is there a basic program that is able to interface and write to ROM?
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah
So are each of these tuning companies cracking the binary code themselves and independently, or is there a basic program that is able to interface and write to ROM?
Ultimately, most of these "tuners" have either in-house technicians or outside affiliates that have knowledge and experience that allows them to access Porsche's binary codes and "tables", therefore allowing them to rewrite ecu programs for better performance. Some of these programs are genetic. Meaning, only a modicum of change is made to the ecu program in order to keep things "safe" and uniform amongst the respective models. Whereas other software tuners have the ability to create or tailor programs based on the specific modifications that have been made to the vehicle. FVD/Brombacher and Evolution Motor Sports are two that come to mind.

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote