Thread: Tuning Packages
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah
Hello,

I have looked around for some time, and can't really seem to find a straight answer to this question:

How does one tune a modern (7.2 or 7.8 DME) Porsche ROM image? For example, on my Pontiac GTP I use a small box, software on laptop, and OBDII cable to read, write, and real-time log basically everything on my car. I can adjust everything from "timing vs. cylinder volume vs. rpm" to at what throttle percentage my air conditioning turns off.

Is there a platform like this for our Porsche vehicles? Obviously, there are companies offering dyno'ed tunes and out-of-the-box tunes, so the DME must have been cracked.

Where would one go about finding more information on getting one of these packages? I am decently experienced in this type of tuning, and would prefer to be able to work on my own custom flashes. I am currently putting a VarioCam Plus 3.4L into my 986 Boxster and I would love to be able to dial my MAF in exactly to my hybrid intake, etc.

Thanks,
ECU "tuning" for Porsches is both a science and a "black art". Essentially, the Porsche world of ecu tuning consists of a number of companies that offer "programs" that are model specific for Porsches. Some of the better "tuners" have their own in-house technicians that can create "programs" that are tailored to the client's individual needs. For example, taking into account specific modifications that were made to their vehicle. However, as far as a software system that allows for hands on owner implementation is concerned, that I am unfamiliar with.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-16-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote