Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

Running wires through firewall

I am upgrading my Bose stereo with Kenwoord Excelon X393 head and Alpine PDX 5 amp, replacing the MOST based Bose and CDR23. I figured out most of the electrical wiring, but need to thread a six wire (Monster) RCA cable from the HU to the amp through the firewall. I found some info, but no clear picture of the best place (grommet) to pull the wire through. Any suggestions are very welcome. I will post my experiences once I have completed the job.

Thanks for any hints!

deboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #2

Easy - there is a blank rubber grommet about 6" directly above the gas pedal with nothing in it from the factory. People will use it to run the rear speaker kit thru to the front amp. Can't see it from the inside as it's covered w/ sound deadening material. However, when you remove the battery completely from the tray, you'll see it behind there. Just cut an X into the black rubber plug w/ a utility knife and poke a hanger thru it. Then go into the cabin and look directly above the gas pedal for your hanger. Search for a rear speaker kit installation DIY and you'll find pictures.

Also, once into the battery compartment area, run the wires under the cowl towards the passenger side about 18" or so IIRC. Then bring them to the front of the car and you find a blanked plug leading to the frunk itself. Feed the wires thru the plug there (normally used for a CD- Changer) and you'll be good to go.

Post up some pics/details when you're all done.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #3

Not a big deal there's a pretty easy grommet

When I did my stereo install I ran wires to the amp and the Sirius control box and iPod adapter into the front trunk. There's a pretty big grommet just above the gas pedal on the firewall, it's kinda hard to see from the interior because there's felt on that side of it, but if you look just behind the battery from inside the front trunk it's on the firewall towards the driver's side of the car.

It's a few inches in diameter and I just cut a slit in it and ran my wires through that way then worked it back into the hole in the firewall. There's also some other grommets and carpet cutouts between the battery box and the rest of the front trunk that let you do a really clean install to get up near the amp area without running wires over the rubber seals.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the info! This will help, I will post some experience and pictures on this forum.
deboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #5

Resurrecting an old thread. I am just about to route some wires from the frunk to the head unit and it seems my '03 RHD Boxster S has TWO unused grommets from the battery area:

Which one is best to use? Or is there a 3rd one?

Note my car has an aftermarket battery which I suspect is smaller than the original hence the unrestricted view of the grommets.

politby is offline   Reply With Quote