Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Red face Temperature Gauge Issue

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one, hope you can help.

My temperature gauge red light is now flashing. However, the needle is stuck at the bottom at 40. There is no smell whatsoever, the coolant is topped up. However, the coolant was quite warm when i opened the cap, but this might be normal (it wasn't boiling hot).

Any ideas why this might be? possible that the needle has stopped working or have the fans/radiators possibly stopped?

All advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

babyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #2

Check your coolant level.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboxster
Hi Folks,

Just a quick one, hope you can help.

My temperature gauge red light is now flashing. However, the needle is stuck at the bottom at 40. There is no smell whatsoever, the coolant is topped up. However, the coolant was quite warm when i opened the cap, but this might be normal (it wasn't boiling hot).

Any ideas why this might be? possible that the needle has stopped working or have the fans/radiators possibly stopped?

All advise is much appreciated.

Thanks
Check your owners manual, flashing means coolant level is low, if it goes steady on I think that means something else.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #4

Hi folks,

thanks for getting back, really appreciated.

the coolant level is topped up and there aren't any smells either. Seems quite strange. Any other ideas as to what it may be?

Possible malfunction of the needle maybe?

Thanks again
babyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #5

Both the coolant MIL light and strange guage reading can be caused by a failing coolant temp sensor................
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Both the coolant MIL light and strange guage reading can be caused by a failing coolant temp sensor................
That could be it; I changed radiator caps about a year ago with my 986 due to failure of my old 986 model cap. Now i have a 996 model cap, and it works great. The side-effect is that flashing light is perpetually on. That'd be what I check.

J
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
That could be it; I changed radiator caps about a year ago with my 986 due to failure of my old 986 model cap. Now i have a 996 model cap, and it works great. The side-effect is that flashing light is perpetually on. That'd be what I check.

J
Just replaced my coolant expansion tank out in the rear boot. No more flashing light....
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Mine did this today after 3 days of sitting and a big temp change outside. Drove the car 4 about 15 minutes and turned off the car and did a restart and now no light. I will check the coolant though.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote