Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #21

Yuck.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by root_werks
Yuck.
I received a new file from FVD to try when I get back to VA. right now I am working in Vancouver, WA and will be working in Bremerton, WA next week.

So, mid april I will try this one last time and get it on the dyno. stay tuned for the fun
Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
I received a new file from FVD to try when I get back to VA. right now I am working in Vancouver, WA and will be working in Bremerton, WA next week.

So, mid april I will try this one last time and get it on the dyno. stay tuned for the fun
Hope it works out this time. Are they willing to refund you the money if their software doesn't lead to the increased hp gains they claim?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Hope it works out this time. Are they willing to refund you the money if their software doesn't lead to the increased hp gains they claim?
They said they would. they don't even want me to return the cable. It can't be used for any other cars anyways. it's chipped once it's used it registers the VIN number. They have been very good so far. hopefully the new file will show improvement.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #25

Fvd

Any update on Whether FVD has been able to proived software that yields a gain?
roger955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger955
Any update on Whether FVD has been able to proived software that yields a gain?
Re-flashed with an updated file sent from FVD. The car was Un-Drivable. Lurching horribly. I have responed to FVD with this information. Now there replies are starting to come slower and slower. Last time it took a week for them to reply. I am done playing games with this company. Hopefully they do the right thing. lets see.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #27
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If they don't do the right thing, post about your experience on 6speedonline. They are a board sponsor there and have a big following. Sorry bout your experience.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #28

Garage
I am sorry to hear about your experience, I was also considering this re-flash but I will now cross it off the list. I hope they follow through on their promise to stand behind their product.
I had a good experience with FVD with their 'sound version' muffler. Boxtaboy told me about their muffler having a little more sound vs. his Dansk (which I was also considering) and I am very happy with the look and sound. I read a lot of posts on 6speedonline, and they do have a strong following over there. I worked with Rhonda, and she was very helpful. I mentioned that I had read a post where someone had concerns with their flash, and it seemed like she had not heard about it but was concerned. If you aren't working with her, it may be worth contacting her. She is the person who posts on 6speedonline for them.
Good luck!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Re-flashed with an updated file sent from FVD. The car was Un-Drivable. Lurching horribly. I have responed to FVD with this information. Now there replies are starting to come slower and slower. Last time it took a week for them to reply. I am done playing games with this company. Hopefully they do the right thing. lets see.
There are many of us who have had very positive experiences with FVD products; especially their ECU software programs. Moreover, in my experience, FVD's attention to customer service has always been exemplary. You clearly have something going on with your vehicle that escapes anyone's understanding. I have a nasty suspicion its those NHP headers.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I have a nasty suspicion its those NHP headers.
Re-think, what you just said. As soon as the car is re-flashed back to stock file the car runs fine. Those nasty NHP headers help make an overall bolt on HP gain of 18 HP. That comment makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Re-think, what you just said. As soon as the car is re-flashed back to stock file the car runs fine. Those nasty NHP headers help make an overall bolt on HP gain of 18 HP. That comment makes no sense whatsoever.
I know a few people who have had issues with those headers and cats. Namely, ongoing problems with CELS, and in some instances a loss of back pressure as compared to the oem set-up. Nevertheless, was FVD made aware of the fact that you are using those headers and cats ? And, were they sure to have written the software to accommodate these changes in equipment. Especially given the fact that you are now using 200 cell cats.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #32

Garage
The only part of the post combustion cycle of the engine that enters into the ECU EFI functions are the o2 sensors. The ECU does not care how quickly the exhaust gasses leave the cylinder, only the completeness of the combustion and the effectiveness of the cat. The MAF would reflect and correct for the greater flow through of the engine and the pulse width of the injectors would be set according to the fuel curves.

In short, headers not being taken into account would not cause the sort of problems the OP is describing.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
The only part of the post combustion cycle of the engine that enters into the ECU EFI functions are the o2 sensors. The ECU does not care how quickly the exhaust gasses leave the cylinder, only the completeness of the combustion and the effectiveness of the cat. The MAF would reflect and correct for the greater flow through of the engine and the pulse width of the injectors would be set according to the fuel curves.

In short, headers not being taken into account would not cause the sort of problems the OP is describing.
You have provided an excellent answer to the question. However, if the MAF is not properly correcting air flow and fuel mixture due to a change in headers and cats, even if this is occurring on a low detection level, is it possible that re-mapping the ECU to increase these mixtures can exacerbate the problem ?

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #34

Garage
Sure an improper curve can have an effect on the efficiency of the engine but...

The pulse width is the only real tool that determines the richness/weakness of the combustion mixture.

Now, headers could have the kind of effect you are suggesting if the pulse width was already at the edge of the rich or lean curve area and the headers had the effect of pushing the setting over the edge in either direction.

But I cannot imagine that the pulse width would not be set closer to the center of the band to ensure a good mixture and it would likely be set to the rich end to avoid predetonation and micro overheating associated with a too lean a mixture.

It may be the case but I do not think the headers can the cause of the entire problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #35

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
From what I understand and what I have spoken to w/ Rhoda about FVD,they don't even make their own flash....
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
From what I understand and what I have spoken to w/ Rhoda about FVD,they don't even make their own flash....
FVD has their own affiliate in Germany who does their ECU programming for them.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Nevertheless, was FVD made aware of the fact that you are using those headers and cats ? And, were they sure to have written the software to accommodate these changes in equipment. Especially given the fact that you are now using 200 cell cats.
Yes, obviously they were informed of my entire set-up. If you were at all familar with how FVD works you should know they wouldn't even send you a file without this information. You have to have an active internet connection to flash your ECU which validates your VIN and also sends your stock ecu file to them at which time you specify your mods and what redline RPM you prefer as well as whether or not you want a Top speed limiter removed etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #38

Also,

on a side note. on the first tuned file that resulted in negative HP and TQ gains the AFR's improved over the stock readings to idealy perfect.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #39

Final Post. FVD A+ Customer care

FVD is willing to continue working with different files for my car. I have chosen to give it up. It is just not working with something in my setup. MANY people have had positive results with this flash and I do not want to discourage anyone from trying this software. The re-mapped E throttle response and raised rev-limiter worked fine.

FVD issued me a full refund at my request.

FVD's Customer care is A+ and one of the best I have dealt with. I will continue to do business with this company, as I have 2 orders placed with them right now.

FVD Brombacher
http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/-/-/hp/show/VID_12640355-VCD_74887803-sort_4-display_50/Home.html