Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Condensation/Water Inside my Boxster!

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and purchased my 1999 Boxster about three weeks ago.

I had the top down this past weekend for the first time and since then the inside of the car (mainly the roof and windows) are becoming drenched overnight. I got in this morning and there were water droplets all over the roof (on the inside) and the windows were actually iced over (on the inside, not outside).

Has anyone else had this issue? I have made sure that the top is fully closed and the windows are up all the way each night.

This is very strange as the first week I had the car we had downpours and I did not have any water get in...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Check behind & under the seats for moisture - especially around the alarm ECU located under the drivers seat. If your carpets are wet, you probably have got blocked drains under the folding roof / engine compartment section and in the front hood section next to the battery - see your car manual for locations and details of how to clear.
If your alarm ECU gets swamped, that = big $$.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks Steve. I'll check these areas out this weekend. Appreciate the advice!

I need more Cowbell!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Check behind & under the seats for moisture - especially around the alarm ECU located under the drivers seat. If your carpets are wet, you probably have got blocked drains under the folding roof / engine compartment section and in the front hood section next to the battery - see your car manual for locations and details of how to clear.
If your alarm ECU gets swamped, that = big $$.
Steve is right, I had this problem twice. The first time I was able to save that module under the driver's seat. The second time, I wasn't so lucky. It ain't cheap to replace either.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #5

Hi. I just checked under the driver's seat and it is damp. It is not damp behind the seat.

It is WET under and behind the passenger seat. Just soaked up half a beach towel full of water...

I just went through the owner's manual and I can't find anything on the drain holes/plugs. Are these located under the engine cover? I have yet to take the cover off and it seems that I need to partially open the top to do so, is that correct?

I havn't had any luck looking through the old threads similar to this one.

I'm new to Porche's and I am also not very technically inclinded with cars at this point. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

I need more Cowbell!

Last edited by Yoadrian; 02-28-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Open your top halfway and you will see a nickel-sized hole on each side. Stick your pinky finger or a tool in there to make sure there isn't anything plugging it up. A strong air hose would be best. Then slowly pour in some water and make sure it drains below the car.
Benzito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #7

Link to pictures

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

Adrian - Mikes piccies are the ones I use - I printed a copy and keep in my garage as a reminder to clear my drains often ~ 3-4 times a year.
Also note the small point in MF's how to - use compressed air, its preferable to poking down the holes with a coat hanger type cleaner as you can push the rubber drains "into never, never land".
Don't ask me how I know......
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll try to clear these out tonight.

I need more Cowbell!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #10

I cleared mine out last night and the rear drains were fine but the front ones were holding back some serious water. So glad I checked them out. Drains are working great now and the compressed air worked perfect. Thanks for all the advice and diagrams to show us newbies what to do. Another project completed

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote