Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #1

Headlight Re-Lens. (looks interesting)

Thoughts?

http://doctorheadlightstuart.com/

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #2

Leave your car out in the hot Florida sun for 30 years and what do you expect?

3M hand glaze and a dab of "Blue Magic" works wonders on all things plastic...(a tip learned from our National PCA Concours Judges and entrants).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

Actually my car is parked in a garage. But yes, the Florida sun is brutal.

I am actually interested in others opinions on their process. It looks rather unique and their warranty is pretty outstanding.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
pboxstercar

Wow - what a RIP-OFF. You can do it yourself for around 18 bucks and 20 minutes of your time. It never amazes me how people piss away money.

One of several products that work "wonders":
Meguiar's G1900K Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit

Last edited by pboxstercar; 02-09-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

i got all excited when I hit the website and it said "relensing for $100"

I thought maybe I coudl ship them my lights and they coudl swap out just the lens portion for $100...

what a cheap easy way to get rid of the amber in my lights..

then I realized that they simply have named this "cleaning" service "relensing".

you don't ge ta new lense..they just clean it.

on that topic - is it possible to get a new "lens" for a 986 headlight and separate the light and then put on the new lens and reseal it... sounds to me like it would be more hassle / expense than just finding/buying newer lights..unless Porsche sold the replacement lenses dirt cheap... wait..Porsche sell a replacement part cheap. HA! HA! HA!

i'll just keep looking for newer lights...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

^IIRC you can only buy the entire headlight assembly and not just the individual components.

You can unseal/reseal the headlight assembly, it is a mildly frustrating and nerving process that involves baking your headlight assembly in a 200ƒ degree oven to soften the adhesive...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #7

Not trying to offend anyone or start trouble... But...

Has anyone actually read what their process is? It looks very different from anything I've seen. While most headlight restoration buffs, polishes, and then coats with a wax like substance (which wears off quickly - BTW). Their system re-seals the lens with an epoxy. They have 100% satisfaction policy. They also fix chips, cracks, and seals. This is way beyond your local detailer doing a quick refinish.

So yeah... Anyone have any thoughts on this? Please read the website and check the videos. Very cool. I'm thinking of doing it. Much cheaper than new litronics.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #8

Garage
Ive done exactly what they are saying costs a hundred dollars for maybe 25 at autozone.

its an easy DIY and if you have some basic tools for sanding its even easier. all you do is sand the lens polish it (fine grit sand paper) then finally put a clear epoxy over it. i would never pay anyone to do this for me never mind 100 dollars. or 199 as also listed.

if you dont feel comfortable sanding yourself then sure go for it. but if you have a free saturday afternoon and a few beers you should be fine.

(sidenote when I did it, i did not have any power sanders or buffers completely by hand.)
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Thanks Lobo! I agree with you... The parts are cheap and it is definetly a DIY project if you are comfortable with such things.

I looked the epoxy sealing process up and I guess it's more common than I initially thought. I need to read more.

That being said... $100-200 per headlight with a warranty and satisfaction garantee looks tasty to me.

If/when I take the plung I will post pics and my experience.

If anybody else has had this done or done it themselves I am interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #10

Garage
Also something I forgot to mention I did not do this on my boxster I did this on a mustang. the lenses were VERY bad, cracking, yellow and near opaque. The result was near perfection. now on a boxster I doubt the lenses would be in that bad a state of disrepair so I would imagine the results would be as high as you could expect.

also I wouldnt personally send my lights to this company. In their photo section Its easy to see they are skewing their before and after pictures. Sure they come out great that is fine and you may get great results going to that company. But for me personally do not need to be lied to even if its only initially. Ill take care of my lights myself.

If you look at those lenses you will see that the one on the left IMHO look as if they have been sanded to look like that. I can tell because I have done this process and when you sand them it looks EXACTLY like that before you polish and epoxy.

also that model year of mustang in those photos the lenses wouldnt look like that with disrepair... but they would if you sanded them.

Last edited by Lobo1186; 02-13-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 AM   #11

3-M kit

Have a good friend who just polished his '02 C4 headlights. They looked Opaque when he brought the car home. He used the 3-M kit and they now look like new. He also added a slightly darker film over them which toned down the bright silver look and makes them blend into the Midnight blue finish a lot better. I believe the 3-M kit uses a 3000 grit sanding disc to initially clear the old surface off. As with all of these 'fixes' it pays to proceed with caution and leave the beers until the job is done.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #12

Garage
haha proceed without beer?

its amazing what some sanding can do to many surfaces Im in the process of polishing my exhaust tips they were a titanium finish type thing but I hit it up with some 600 and soon 1000 and 2000 and they will be pretty damn near chrome.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
haha proceed without beer?

LOL! NO, just have the beer when the job is finished then GO for it. :dance:

its amazing what some sanding can do to many surfaces Im in the process of polishing my exhaust tips they were a titanium finish type thing but I hit it up with some 600 and soon 1000 and 2000 and they will be pretty damn near chrome.
True. I plan on an 'orange peel removal' binge this spring. Remarkable the amount of it on the lower sides of the doors and fenders. Will also fill in some small chips before beginning the process.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
yellowstonepart

Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers

Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers
of engine parts, in particular diesel fuel injection system
accessories for replacement, such as Fuel injection Nozzle, Plunger and
Delivery valve, ETC In south of china .

for more detail please visit our website : www.yellowstonediesel.com
www.dieselinjection.cn

Yellow stone diesel parts plant was founded in 1997.Over the years,
Yellow stone has grown and gained a reputation for producing
high quality products and delivering them on time.