Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Unhappy 02 Boxster - New Rotors - Rear Passenger Rubbing noise

Hello all,

I'm a Porsche/986forum/DIY'er newbie. Yesterday I installed new rotors/pads/sensors on my 02 Boxster (Base). I noticed that the rear passenger side makes a rubbing noise, which I think is being caused by the new rotor because when I put the old rotor back on, there is no noise.

I'm at a loss b/c this is my first time ever working on brakes, so don't know if this is normal and will "go away" after a while? Or if it's an issue with the new rotor? Or if it's something else.

Here is the rear rotors I bought: R1 Concepts: OEQ Blanks EOE.37031

Here is a pic of the rotor where I think it rubs:

Here is a pic of where I think the rotor is rubbing against:

I also took a short vid so you could hear the noise:
YouTube: Rotor rub

Like I said, when I put the old rotor back on...no noise. The rear driver side is ok too.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

roborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

I had a nearly identical sound when I did my rotors for th 1st time. It was just the dust shield. It won't go away by itself, you will have to bend it very slightly out of the way.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Garage
I listed to the audio on the video and it is the Dust Shield. It is very thin, easy to bend (which in this case is both good and bad news).

Take the wheel off and as you rotate the rotor gently bend back the various parts of the dust shield until the noise goes away. Once you have located the spot on the shield that touches the rotor, bend it back slightly with hand tools until you can spin it without it making a noise. Just went through the same thing with my rotors / shields on my car when I put new rotors on.

Last edited by rob76turbo; 01-31-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add info
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

der Geist | rob76turbo:

I think you're right about the Dust Shield. I actually thought that too and started bending back the flat pieces, but the noise still persisted.

Is it ok to bend the circular part of the Dust Shield? I'll have to to the rotor off in order to do that, but it'll be well worth it if it means a quiet ride.

Sorry for all the pics, but I'm a visual learner.

This is taken from a parts site:

Thanks for your help and quick responses. It's great to have a forum like this, especially for a person just getting their feet wet.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #5

For christ sake, please, toss these $30 out of spec rotors and get something half decent like the zimmermanns.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_BRKpad_pg4.htm

Last edited by ekam; 01-31-2010 at 02:21 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

The dust shields are extremely easy to bend. It was hard figuring out exactly which part was making the noise but once I found out it was really easy to fix. Make sure your new rotor isn't warped before you put it all back together warped before you put everything back together.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

thanks for your honesty ekam ... and you're probably right. I went cheap b/c all these little repairs I'm doing is killing me. But of all the repairs, brakes is something I should not of skimped out on. After thinking about it ... $30 a rotor is ridiculous! LOL

That said...I just placed an order for the Zimmermann Coat Z rotors.

der Geist: If the new Zimmermann rotors still cause some rotor/dust shield noise, then I'll take your advice and bend them.

I'll post an update when I have the new rotors installed ... thursday or so.

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #8

Since you're replacing them, this is probably moot. But remove the parts and paint each suspect area with White Out. Reinstall and run a mile or two and dismantle to see where the White Out has worn away - there's your issue.

As far as buying cheap parts - don't. If you want to make the car perfect, cheap parts won't accomplish that. They'll be ill fitting, non-warranted and waste time and $$.

Many are finding out that while Boxsters are becoming cheap cars to buy, they are not, nor will they ever be, cheap cars to own!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Since you're replacing them, this is probably moot. But remove the parts and paint each suspect area with White Out. Reinstall and run a mile or two and dismantle to see where the White Out has worn away - there's your issue...
What a great idea!! I'll give that a try if the Zimmermann's also have that same issue...though, I'm hoping they don't. I don't even think it's worth shipping the other rotors back ... any suggestions on what to do with them?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborob
I don't even think it's worth shipping the other rotors back ... any suggestions on what to do with them?
Make them garage wall ornaments as a reminder of what not to do the next time you need to buy parts.

I always go for top quality, but shop hard to get pretty close to the best price from a trusted supplier. eBay's always a tempting place to find a "deal" (I've been trading there for 10+ years) and I often take a look as a frame of reference, however reality is there really aren't many great buys. If it's too good to be true...

I've found the best way to keep repair & maintenance costs manageable is by learning how to do as many projects myself as possible. This forum has saved me a ton of bucks and countless time by not getting screwed around by the local dealer. Knowledge is power.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #11

hi

that was a great idea' lil 'you must be an engineer or something

but as for parts if your not getting porsche parts then get the orginal suppiler

i'm changing my rear rotors (we call them by their proper name of discs by the way and of course I'm from the country than invented them and everything else of course !!!) I'm gonna buy sebro discs because theyre the orginal german manufactor ,and also textar pads ,theyre sold here alongside the oem and cheaper makes ,but theyre good value for money compared to the rest

and they should fit perfectly fingers crossed X

and by the way it looks an easy job compared to brakes ive done before but has anybody got a pic of the hub with the disc(rotor) off (to see the handbrake mech.) and also how easy did the 2 screws come off the disc(rotor) ,do i really need an impact driver

and please dont mention the war lol
chrismanchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #12

Balo Rotors

I purchased Balo's from Pelican Parts for mine. These are German made and fit perfectly. They are not painted so I had to degrease them and paint the vents and hats. Cost for rotors was about $225.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismanchr
hi, that was a great idea' lil 'you must be an engineer or something... lol
Nope.... just a goofy f*cker working my way up the levels of Automotive Bodhisattva like everyone else...

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #14

Hi all... so here's an update:

I received my new rotors (aka discs) late this afternoon, and completed the new install (along with new cabin and air filter) and am happy to report that the Zimmermann's worked PERFECTLY! No rubbing, no squeaking, no nothing!

Thank you all for your suggestions and for setting me straight on NOT buying cheap parts. I'll never do that again!

Next on the list is the new top I purchased from topsonline - Robbins German Cloth (black) with glass window. Please don't tell me I goofed with this purchase as well!? I don't think I'll attempt the install on this one...found a shop that's does Boxsters that's charging $600.

Oh, chrismanchr, the two screws came off easily for me ... all four wheels. I got lucky I guess.

Cheers all!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #15

thats great to hear ,success !

well ive been done the autoparts shop and bought myself rear discs,pads,sensors

so i'll be fitting mine next week on my 2days off work
Old 02-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborob
Thank you all for your suggestions and for setting me straight on NOT buying cheap parts. I'll never do that again!
Thanks, your car will be happy too.

I just thought to myself "Bending your dust shield back for new rotors? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard."

I encourage anyone to work on their own car (I do, when I have the time & the right tools), but buying cheap parts & screw with your car to make it fit is just a no-no, or what some people call it... "ghetto" or "bubba" up your car.

Last edited by ekam; 02-05-2010 at 04:35 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #17

one more question

did you re-use the calipar bolts or buy new ones?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismanchr
one more question

did you re-use the calipar bolts or buy new ones?
Sorry for the late reply...I signed up to get notifications when there was a post to this thread...this one didn't come through.

To answer your question...I bought new caliper bolts as well. I was going to reuse, but decided to get all new parts when I re-ordered the discs.