03-24-2005, 08:38 PM
|
#1
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 155
|
Ironically, I just bought a Pep boys cheap-e oil filter wrench. I tried to by the Porsche one, but the dealer in San Diego, Pioneer Centres told me that I can't buy Porsche tools, only Porsche certified mechanics can - anyone ever heard that BS? I read on 986faq.com that as long as it is a 74mm 14 point wrench that you should be good to go.
I am going to change my oil tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!
I read on renntech.org that you are supposed to change the oil only when the engine has been brought up to operating temperature, so that means the oil will be hot - I personally can't see how it would make that much of a difference as long as you drain the old oil for a long time, like 20mins +.
Larez2
|
|
|
03-24-2005, 11:16 PM
|
#2
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,889
|
Our local group has done a lot of oil changes and I always bring my metal filter wrench. We have broken the plastic types because whomever put on the cannister put it on too tight. Some part places places do have a metal version.
You can and I have bought Porsche tools, from any Porsche dealer.
I have the one sold by Porsche and did not like it because I had to remember to bring a 27 mm socket. So I bought one made by Hazet because you can use a standard 3/8" dive extension. All the mechanics I know use Hazet.
It is 74 mm with 14 flats. This is a standard size used on other Porsches, VW, Audi, and even BMW cycles.
You can find the Hazet version on ebay for $20. I paid about $7 for the Porsche version years ago but one of the local guys told me Porsche jacked up the price to $26.
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 06:25 AM
|
#3
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
|
I will be over at Hoen Porsche later today and I find out if one can buy a oil filter wrench from Porsche. The Pioneer answer sounds fishy to me too!
Yes, it is better to drain the oil when hot. It will flow much faster and certain crap will come out that will not if the oil is cold. Makes sense.
It does not have to be MAD HOT to flow well. If the oil as at say 150, this would be fine.
BTW- I am going to be researching high efficiency oil filters for the Box. I will report back later on that too!
15K is a long time for a filter to work well.
Lastly, I have just bought a batch of Shell Rotella T fully synthetic oil 5W-40 at Wal Mart. Cost per quart is about $3.45. Not bad as the avg cost for Mobil 1 black cap is about $5.99.
:dance:
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by larez2
Ironically, I just bought a Pep boys cheap-e oil filter wrench. I tried to by the Porsche one, but the dealer in San Diego, Pioneer Centres told me that I can't buy Porsche tools, only Porsche certified mechanics can - anyone ever heard that BS? I read on 986faq.com that as long as it is a 74mm 14 point wrench that you should be good to go.
I am going to change my oil tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!
I read on renntech.org that you are supposed to change the oil only when the engine has been brought up to operating temperature, so that means the oil will be hot - I personally can't see how it would make that much of a difference as long as you drain the old oil for a long time, like 20mins +.
Larez2
|
Last edited by Brucelee; 03-25-2005 at 06:27 AM.
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 08:06 AM
|
#4
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sin City
Posts: 178
|
okay, cool -- i will look for the 74 mm with 14 flats. now how about the drain plug. if memory serves, i got it off last time but i did not use the correct wrench -- like it was torx and i used an allen or something like that. since I will be out buying tools and oil, i may as well pick up one of these babies as well.
do any of you know what auto/tool store (i.e. auto zone, napa, sears, etc) would most likely have the 74 mm / 14 flats? or am i stuck using the ebay option? i really wanted to change my oil this weekend as well, and I would hate to wait.
Thanks.
__________________
2000 S (3x Black)
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
|
#5
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 26
|
Ya, Ditto does anyone have a part number for the hazet wrench?
Thanks!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Richard Truss
okay, cool -- i will look for the 74 mm with 14 flats. now how about the drain plug. if memory serves, i got it off last time but i did not use the correct wrench -- like it was torx and i used an allen or something like that. since I will be out buying tools and oil, i may as well pick up one of these babies as well.
do any of you know what auto/tool store (i.e. auto zone, napa, sears, etc) would most likely have the 74 mm / 14 flats? or am i stuck using the ebay option? i really wanted to change my oil this weekend as well, and I would hate to wait.
Thanks.
|
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 08:55 AM
|
#6
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,889
|
Hazet is 2169.
The drain plug is 8 mm allen.
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
|
#7
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 26
|
|
|
|
03-25-2005, 04:26 PM
|
#8
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 155
|
The Penzoil adjustable wrench didn't work. So i purchased one from Napa for $3.99. It worked find even though is says it's 15 flute. I attached a picture of it with this post.
I don't know what other guys use to get under the car. I have a floor jack, but purchased some ramps because I thought it would be easier. The Boxster is so low to begin with even on the ramps it was a pain to get underneath the car. I've always had trucks and lifted vehicles so working underneath was easy and usually didn't require jacking. I could not be on my side under the Boxster so i had to do all the work one handed with my right hand. The exhaust is right by there, so be careful - it's hot.
Like tool pants said 8mm allen key/wrench for the drain plug. I purchased long handle allen key/wrench and I am glad i did because the plug was on tight. The oil filter was also on real tight. It was a pain to remove the drain plug because the oil was hot - i wore gloves, a definite must for this IMO. The oil gushes out real fast at first, it actually splashed off of my catch and a bit on me at first. It took a really long time to completely drain, i'd say about 20 mins.
The oil filter canister was on tight, but wasn't hard to get off, but the oil filter stuck to the car, so when I took the canister off a bunch of oil dripped everywhere. It didn't stick very hard, so i could pull it off, but is was pretty messy.
Putting everything back was easy, and filling was straight forward. I filled it with 8 1/2 quarts, and drove it around the block and let it sit for a bit and checked the stick, it looked good so i didn't add anymore.
Good Luck,
Larez2
|
|
|
11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
|
#9
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by larez2
...I read on renntech.org that you are supposed to change the oil only when the engine has been brought up to operating temperature, so that means the oil will be hot - I personally can't see how it would make that much of a difference as long as you drain the old oil for a long time, like 20mins +.
Larez2
|
Hi,
Old thread, I was doing some idle catching up and found it. There are actually two reasons why you want to run the Car and warm it up before changing the Oil.
First, warming it up allows it to Flow easier and so you get more of the old Oil out.
Second, and more importantly, quite a bit of the dirt suspended in the Oil will settle out once the Oil is stagnant and cool. Warming up the engine allows the Oil to pick up this dirt once again so it is flushed from the Engine with the Oil. The Primary reason for changing the Oil at the Service Interval is to remove this dirt, not because the Oil's Lubricating Capacity has expired. Hope this helps...
Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-05-2005 at 09:51 AM.
|
|
|
11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
|
#10
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
|
As Jim said, change it when hot.
|
|
|
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM
|
#11
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 39
|
Changed the oil today. Quite easy, actually. Did it after brought up to normal operating temp.
The hardest part was getting her up on ramps. I made a more gradual incline with pieces of 2x8 with blocks nailed midway along the span, which I also use for my Jag.
Wearing thick rubber gloves from Home Depot, I shielded my face from possible splash when unscrewing the drain plug, but there was none. 7mm allen key (kinda small, IMHO). No prob.
New filter, O-ring, and she took 9qts EXACTLY of Mobil 1 0w40. One bar from the top showing on the dash, triple checked the dipstick, old-school style.
Finshed off by giving her a good cleaning, just in time to put her to sleep for a few long months. *SIGH*
__________________
2000 Boxster, Guards Red / Black Int.
Boston, MA, US of A.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:09 PM.
| |