Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

OBC Retrofit on 2004 986

I know this has probably been beat to death and my apologies for bringing it up again but I have searched and searched but most of the OBC DIY information has been on the earlier 986's (2001 and older). Assuming I get the OBC turned on and if I purchased the 4 stalk factory parts, how much trouble is it to install on a 2004 model or can it even be done? Is it a simple plug and play (are the electrical connections already on the car) or will it take a special wiring loom? I don't mind doing this and have the skills but wanted to know what is involved and the parts needed before spending the money. I really don't want to do the switch in the dash mod but would rather keep it as factory original as possible.

I read a couple of posts somewhere on the Internet that doing this on a 2003 or 2004 was problematic but then again, those posts were over 5 years old.

Any updated info and guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #2

986 Steering Wheel 4 stalk for sale

Hey ~ I am new to the forum having only recently purchased my first P car.....been reading more than driving and although I anticipate a OBC hack it is beyond me at this point/time.

There is a listing on Ebay #190370563819 exp 2/20/10 where the seller has the part you may need to keep the factory look you are seeking. I have NO association to the seller! Just wanted to pass this along to you .... hope it helps!
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

A few years ago I did the OBC upgrade on a 2003. You need to build a really basic wiring harness and I picked up the wires with pre-crimped connector from a VW dealer. You're right it gets confusing with most of the documentation biased toward the earlier years.