Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

THE obligatory Radio question, and greetings!

Ok guys, first off greetings! new around here and needed some advice.

Let me explain that I am currently in Afghanistan ATM. I have a 2001 Boxster S with the CDR-220 radio. I have been lurking here and see alot of posts on an AUX jack to hook up an MP3 player. Problem is everyone seems to use iPods. I use a Zune, or a cheap no-name unit. I tried to google some answers, but the government internet here limits what sites I can get too (Grrrr) Does anyone know off hand if any companies offer just the AUX plug port? I can always run a cable from the Audio jack on the unit, to the input jack on the stereo if I had one.

I am stationed in Germany, deployed to Afghanistan, but the P-cars are back in Texas with my folks. fun times eh? trying to hook this up when I go on leave this summer. I know you guys see this kind of thread all the time, and I apologize. On a side note: Does anyone know anything about 356 gauges being compatible with a 912 motor? lol. Any way, thanks for the assist.

1987 911 Turbo
2001 Boxster S
1962 356B T-6
"Other" cars & motorcycles as well
Groovie Ghoulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
First of all, thanks for your service. I wish I knew more about this subject, but I personally haven't even done this mod to my cdr 220, as I'm still living in the dark ages using the CD player. Lol. I don't know what a Zune is, but assume it's still an MP3 player? Maybe check out the Becker site link I show below. Becker makes the CDR 220, and they have a service center in NJ: http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/cable_part_number.html

They sell an Ipod and AUX cable. Maybe that can help you. Hope others more knowledgeable about this can chime in to help too. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can hook up just a headphone jack to the CDR220, that will not power/charger your device. You can use just the Becker AUX cable (it ends in two RCA jacks), then you just need an RCA to 3.5mm cable, and you can connect any device with a headphone jack. The advantage of this setup is that you do not need to worry about a ground loop hum or buzz. However, if you connect a cigarette lighter charger to your device it will become a problem and you will want to also install a ground loop isolator from RadioShack ($15) which includes the RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable. You can find the cable here .
Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #4

How is the ipod read? I mean, does it only see 6 folders, that correspond to the discs, (then how many tracks will it see?) or can you just forward through your entire library using the ffd and rwd buttons?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
With just a headphone jack, all you get is audio and no control over the radio. It is the same with an iPod connection except you use the iPods dock connector and can charge your device. Then you can spend a few hundred dollars on a Dension system and get control of your iPod via your radio controls.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #6

Yeah thanks guys, the Becker rig looks like a winner. The Zune is the microsoft version of the iPod, with better video and interface. I dont need the radio to charge the Zune or anything like using the Head unit to run the zune. Just want Zune tunes to blast from the speakers. The reason I like this is that to get all my music, I would fill the rear truck with nothing but CD cases. Also, when I go home on leave this Summer all I will have is my portable music. I appreciate all the help!

Keep the rubber down, and the shiny Side up.

1987 911 Turbo
2001 Boxster S
1962 356B T-6
"Other" cars & motorcycles as well
Groovie Ghoulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #7

On your gauges, depends on 6VDC or 12VDC as well as the tach being mech or electric.

If you're just dropping in a 912 long block and bolting all the 356 "stuff" on, you should be just fine.

root_werks is offline   Reply With Quote