Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

oil in inlet manifold and throttle body

a couple of weeks ago here in the uk we had a very cold day (-17)

and i went to work in the porsche ,it started and seemed to go ok ,but when i got to work i noticed it was running rough ,well i thought it was probably the coil packs as i knew these were cracked

so i changed the coil packs and no change

then i looked under the engine cover and found oil in the throttle body etc ,so i changed the oil separator ,which was fairly easy ,i also cleaned out the oil residue in the throttle body,maf and inlet tubing ,and all through the connectors to the oil separator

afterwards the car felt much better and i thought i'd solved the problem

but 2 days later the rough running returned and i looked under the engine cover and there was as much oil as before in the throttle body and inlet tubing

the engine doesnt sound that bad ,its not overheating ,knocking or anything
but it is down on power and sounds like its got an exhaust leak or induction leak

its a 987 2.7 2005 reg 57k miles

I have booked it in at a porsche specailist tuesday to do diagnostics ,compression test ,and a camrea down the bores

any ideas ? I am fearing the worst

chris
england

Last edited by chrismanchr; 01-30-2010 at 10:34 AM.
chrismanchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #2

i had an idea last nite in my sleep pherhaps the oil filters blocked as its the only part i havent changed ,but the car came with full service history and had a major service 9 months ago

I changed the oil when i bought the car but i didnt change the filter because i couldnt find the right tool (which i now have)

so i pulled the filter off and it was pretty gumed up with black silt

maybe this was leading to a bit of oil sloshing or backing up near the breather tube and more oil than usual being drawn into the oil separator
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #3

I suspect you are clutching at straws regarding the air filter. Even when blocked, it shouldn't allow oil to be drawn up into the inlet tract.
What tools do you require to replace the air filter - its under the engine compartment lid / cover and just clips in?
I know you replaced the AOS, but sometimes they fail fairly early from new, plus you may not have cleaned out all the oil resedue the first time......
Try removing your oil filler cap while the engine is idling - if there is some difficulty removing the cap (vacuum), the AOS is suspect.
Your Indi may shed some light when he does a few tests when you take it in - keep us posted as to the results.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 01-31-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #4

yeah it was the oil filter not the air filter youve missread it ,and if you saw the black silt inside you'd have disagreed the filter cartridge was stuck in 2inchs of black silt the sort of stuff you'd expect at the bottom of a pond not an oil filter on a sports car

wish i'd taken a picture

Last edited by chrismanchr; 02-01-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

Sorry - I did misread your post - I better get my eyes tested again......
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #6

no problem

it goes in today for diagnostics ,compression tests and a camrea down its bores

so fingers crossed

by the way I love mv agusta f4's great bike ,not allowed another bike though
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #7

I had the tests done and the results were all normal which is great

i think its a combination of maintainance not done but paid for and book stamped by previous owners
previously overfilled with oil when i bought it (there was probably about 9litres or more in there) which I sorted straight away
and the AOS breaking and throwing oil everywhere
and the cold weather we had here

I'm gonna change the oil again ,give the inlet manifold,tubes and throttle housing another good clean and see how it goes