Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
JMP

Question Starting Problem?

I have a 99 Boxster. On several occasions lately, I have put the key in the ignition switch and when I attempted to start it, the key turned to the start position but nothing happened. I have made sure it is in park (Triptronic) and the gear position indicator on the dgauge confirms it is in park. A few times iot appeared to be related to the alarm system because I have turned the alrm of and on a few times and then the car started. Other times when I tried this nothing happened so I tried to put the shift lever in neutral and it has worked. It always ends up starting but if I let my wife drive the car and it does this to her, she probably couldn't figure out what to do. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #2

It could be one of two things:
a) Ignition switch
b) The parking interlock microswitch or it's wiring.

The ignition switch would be the easy guess, but it generally affects other electrical components in the car as well and the symptoms get worse with time.
So I don't give it the priority in this case.

As in the manual transmission cars that have the clutch interlock microswitch which needs to be closed in order for the car to start, the tiptronic-equipped cars have a park interlock microswitch that does the same thing.
Check this one first.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Had same problem on '01S TIP

Could wiggle the wheel and wiggle the shifter and eventually it would start. Dealer cured problem with, I was told, "spray lubricant into shift linkage". And, can you believe, didn't charge me. No idea quite where they sprayed it or what they sprayed it with but it can be something as simple as that. 8 months ago, no problems since.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

There is a switch on the shifter (not be be confused with the interlock switch) which can fail to work properly because of fouling of grease and dirt. This will cause the issue you describe. It can also prevent you from using the tranny in 'manual' mode. The usual tell-tale are the manual gear indicator lights on the dash. Can you shift it manually? Do the dash indicators properly reflect the selected gear? If not, the switch needs to be removed and cleaned. The dealer can fix it in under an hour and for under $100.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Alex.11

A gear availability indicator for multi-gear transmissions of motor vehicles capable of generating output signals for operation of a display, including a display having at least.
A first section displaying a range of acceptable engine speeds and a second section displaying at least one gear symbol representative of at least one gear ratio value, the displayed range of acceptable engine speeds and the at least one displayed gear symbol being movable relative to one another and means for selectively masking at least one of the first section and the second section.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #6

Garage
Uhhhhhhh??

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote