Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Garage
P0507 Idle Air Control

2000 Boxster S smoking & CEL came on. P0507 code is IAC but I can't locate it.

Manual shows IAC bolted to Throttle Body but I think it is 97-99 only.

Is it integral with electric throttle?

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

I too have a 00 986S and have had that code before. I ended up replacing my AOS and I also found a leak in a hose. Fixed the problem. I probably didn't need to replace my AOS in retrospect but if you need it I could sell it to you for $50. Your car smoking indicates that that may be the problem.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I too have a 00 986S and have had that code before. I ended up replacing my AOS and I also found a leak in a hose. Fixed the problem. I probably didn't need to replace my AOS in retrospect but if you need it I could sell it to you for $50. Your car smoking indicates that that may be the problem.
Replaced the AOS today & cleaned the TB, started it up & let it run till warm CEL came back on & idle is rough
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #4

Is it still smoking? It's good that you cleaned out the TB cuz thats what I was gonna suggest next. Since you've done that and replaced the AOS, it sounds to me like you have an air leak like I did. On my air leak, I could hear it but it may not as such for everyone. It's a pain to do this since it could be anywhere. Mine ended up being in the brake booster hose (the one with a white piece connecting to the back of the engine area).

Worst comes to worst, you can take it to a dealership and ask them to find it for you but you'll end up having to pay labor. Still a cheaper alternative than replacing a whole bunch of stuff. Plus when they find it, you can replace the part yourself.

Last edited by Viper5; 01-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Garage
Just for fun scanned it again & found CEL was for code P0300 & P0301 now not P0507 anymore. So now cyl.#1 is misfiring & no smoke. Crossed plugs & coils with cyl.#3 with no change & coils show .4 OHMs also 12volts at coil connectors.
So what's next??
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

I wish I could give you some more advice but I have nothing. I only initially responded because of my experience with the P0507 error. Maybe unplug your MAF and clear the codes to see if the CEL comes back on. The car will run in some type of special mode. If the CEL doesn't return, maybe your MAF is bad. Again, thats the only thing I can think of but the MAF could be completely unrelated to the misfirings.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Just for fun scanned it again & found CEL was for code P0300 & P0301 now not P0507 anymore. So now cyl.#1 is misfiring & no smoke. Crossed plugs & coils with cyl.#3 with no change & coils show .4 OHMs also 12volts at coil connectors.
So what's next??
Try swapping the injectors because running too lean/rich will cause misfires. Also, check wiring of the O2 sensor (front of TWC)for Bank 1 because a grounded power lead to the O2 sensor can cause a too rich/lean signal.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
Try swapping the injectors because running too lean/rich will cause misfires. Also, check wiring of the O2 sensor (front of TWC)for Bank 1 because a grounded power lead to the O2 sensor can cause a too rich/lean signal.

Regards,
paul...

Found it, the #1 plug lead connector was not making a good connection, cleaned it & carefully reconnected & rescanned, no CEL still no smoke.

88,000 miles on original AOS

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #9

Just wondering how you realized that the 02 wasn't in all the way.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Just wondering how you realized that the 02 wasn't in all the way.

It was the #1 coil lead connector which is the hardest one to reach.