Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Garage
Let sit or start ?

This may prove to be a real mammary of a question, however, I am interested in knowing what the latest school of thought is when it comes to periodically starting a stored vehicle. Essentially, my boxster gets stored indoors for the duration of the winter. Up here in New England, the season can last upwards of six months. In the past, I would start my vehicle almost on a weekly basis and let it run for approximately a half hour. Is there any real benefit to doing this, other than OPEC and the garage mice loving it ? Some have suggested starting it only once a month. Whereas, others have recommended not starting it at all, and simply leaving the battery hooked up to a charger. Any thoughts out there ?

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #2

Garage
Im no expert but if you were to start it i would say to make sure you allow the engine to fully warm up before shutting it down.

usually though most people i hear from just leave it alone for the whole time.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

Mine sits from September to May. And all I do is make sure the tirepressure is right. And fill it up with gas. And clean the thing. I know some says that you should give the tyres extra air in it to prevent flatspots, but i don't.

I've heard that with this kind of tires that we use on our cars, porsche and such. They are so good, that you are not going to get flatspots. It happens to normal tires. BUT ONLY A RUMOUR!

Best regards
Kim
Kim-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #4

I parked mine and will let it sit until April. No starting unless I do a winter repair that requires me to start it.... like spark plugs.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Why subject the car to the wear

of starting it cold and then spoiling the oil with blowby and condensation.

I park mine, put the battery on a maintainer, and take it out for a long drive only when it has been warm enough for a long time for the summer tires to work. I try never to start it and not take a long drive...there are times like into the garage after a car wash when a short drive is unavoidable. I want all the oils and greases warm to hot and the tires working when I drive.

I've stored the car in a garage and outside at the end of an extension cord under a Noah fabric cover..each for weeks or months at a stretch.

All the mechanics I've ever talked to have recommended the no-start storage.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

I've stored my cars for the last 25-30 years and never start them whilst in storage...you only do more harm than good.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #7

If you plan on selling in a year or two... or the only relief from the Winter Doldrums is either smacking the Missus or starting the car, by all means run the car. Doing so doesn't guarantee it'll blow-up.

But, if you're a dedicated owner with long-term ownership in mind and want to do what's ABSOLUTELY the best thing for the car - leave it.

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
mts

Another vote for the "no-start" storage. It does more harm than good.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #9

Yep, mine sits under a cover and plugged into the maintainer during the winter. No starting unless we get a nice day and clear roads, at which point I'll take it out for a nice long drive.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #10

good to know about the no-start. I am doing the 60k service and i crank it after certain fixes one at a time to make sure everything is kosher.

I installed the belt and cranked it to make sure it was on all the pulleys correctly. I am sure i will do the same after i do the plugs to make sure everything fires up.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison
good to know about the no-start. I am doing the 60k service and i crank it after certain fixes one at a time to make sure everything is kosher.

I installed the belt and cranked it to make sure it was on all the pulleys correctly. I am sure i will do the same after i do the plugs to make sure everything fires up.

No reason to start it up after swapping plugs. They're basically inert and if gapped and torqued properly, they'll work - guaranteed!

Running the engine creates moisture as a by-product and it is exactly this moisture that you're trying to avoid. It gets absorbed by the oil, along with unburnt fuel. From there, it can combine to form mildly acidic compounds which can then evaporate and condense on the cooler internal bits (especially in a cold garage), where it can take it's sweet time corroding and pitting the surfaces it clings to.

Set it and forget it!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim-M
Mine sits from September to May. And all I do is make sure the tirepressure is right. And fill it up with gas. And clean the thing. I know some says that you should give the tyres extra air in it to prevent flatspots, but i don't.

I've heard that with this kind of tires that we use on our cars, porsche and such. They are so good, that you are not going to get flatspots. It happens to normal tires. BUT ONLY A RUMOUR!

Best regards
Kim
High performance tires are more likely to get flat spots because of the nylon belts.
Bentley specifiys in their owners manual to inflate tires to 50psi if car will not be driven for a month to prevent flat spots. ( of course Bentleys are much heavier than Porsches )
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #13

Garage
I wonder what Jake Raby would have to say on this topic ?

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote