Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 10:02 PM   #1

5500-6000 RPM shifting

1st time Boxster owner. Just wanted to know where most of you shift. I was told to always shift between 5500-6000 RPMs. Does the car want to be shifted this high all the time? It just seems to me if you are shifting like this you are always racing the car and sucking up gas.

boxsterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

It's just like any car in that while you're driving easy, shift wherever 3500-4000 whatever you're comfortable with. If you're gunnin' it, then shift at the top...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #3

There is a 997/987 tech session at Stevens Creek Porsche April 9th.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4333
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:08 AM   #4

Have you ever driven a stick before? I mean I'm new at driving a stick but it should be common sense to not always make your engine work that hard. You should only shift that high if you are racing. I think if I saw a boxster driving with traffic going 45 in 1st gear, I would have to laugh.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #5

In everday driving, it would be prudent to shift between 2500-3500K for most driving. More when passing, on ramps etc. An S can be shifted lower as it has more torque.

If you keep shifting at 5500 all the time, expect to pay Mr Engine Rebuilder a visit sometime soon. Not to mention Mr. COP!

Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #6

Yeah, definately not a good idea to shift at that rpm all the time. On the other hand I believe in exercising the engine so the needle goes very close to redline a few times each time I take the car out.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #7

Hi rpm shifting will only be harmful for the engine and your gasoline consumption will suffer quite a bit. I've driven clutch since 1968 and have never abused the clutch. At the same time I don't baby the cars either. I shift depending on traffic conditions, if traffic is moving briskly I open my shifting at higher rpms than if traffic is slow, there I shift on lower end. I will still go through all the gears if traffic is moving above 30 mph.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #8

Thanks!

Thank you guys for your help. :dance: I had a feeling Porsche enthusiasts would know the answer. Porschekid you caught me! I actually bought the Boxster to learn how to drive a stick. I almost have the clutch down. I won't be racing the engine all the time any more, unless I'm having fun.
boxsterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #9

I also learned to drive a stick on my boxster. Prior to buying it (about a year ago) I got one lesson from my cousin, who has been driving stick for years, in his toyota corolla. Funny thing is that he hadn't had an opportunity to drive the boxster until this past weekend. After 15 minutes of his shifting, I thought I would have to go to the chiropractor. He also stalled it. I asked him what the problem was and he said that it has a much stiffer clutch than his, and that it was much more difficult finding the shift point because of the sound (he said that the turbine whine made him think he should shift alot earlier), and the low end torque. We finally got it on the highway and he opened it up to 100 mph still in 4th gear (just a bit north of 6k rpms). When he was done, he had had the biggest grin on his face. He asked me how many times I have actually gotten it to 6th. Well, to be truthful, it hasn't been that many.

As for me, I generally go from 1st to 2nd around 2500 - 3500, 2d to 3rd between 3000 and 4500 and higher shifts from 4000 up. A couple times a week I'll get closer to redline just to keep the engine honest. I find that when its cold (well, at least as cold is defined in Fla), I make my 1-2 shift alot lower. After a year, my "jerky" shifts have decreased greatly, although I still get a few daily. But when I do, the amount of "jerk" is usualy minimal. And my percentage of what I call natural shifts, when it seems like the shifter just falls into the gate and it doesnt even feel like the car has changed gears, has greatly increased. Like anything, with more practice you get to know your car.

Also, I don't do a whole lot of downshifting. Usually 3-2 on an off-ramp or if the light ahead has just changed and traffic is just starting to move. But if the light is red, I'll just roll up in neutral. I prefer to keep it in neutral while waiting for the light to change whereas my fiance, who has been driving sticks for 15 years, tends to keep it in 1st and ride the clutch. On the other extreme, I have a friend who goes to neutral even at a stop sign. One thing I am also still working on is my kneejerk reaction to hit the clutch whenever I even tap the brake.

Anyway, enjoy your car. It's a great way to learn how to drive a stick!
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #10

I find in normal driving I do alot of first to third shifting. Don't hit 2nd much unless trying to accelerate faster. Hills are still a ******************** for me though (really sucks in Pittsburgh) and I haven't got a good launching technique down. I feel bad learning on such a nice car but all other sticks I've driven the clutches feel alot different anyway.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #11

Ranbar touched upon a real good point about keeping the revs low when the engine is cold. You will significantly shorten the life of the engine if you rev it high before it has a chance to warm up properly. I learned the hard way when I broke a lifter in my old 528i. The proper operating temp is around 185 degreees. Before the engine reaches this temp, you should not exceed 4,200rpm per Porsche. Consequently, this is also the rpm limit during "breakin" period. After the engine is warmed up, don't be afraid to rev it high from time to time...this is when the boxster starts to wake up.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #12

you know I never look at the Tach when shifting.
I have always gone by the 'g-forces and sound' if you will.
I always shift in a way so that the passenger wouldn't be able
to tell if the transmission were automatic or mannual.

For me this usually means quickly shifting out of 1st well before
5K rpm. 250K RPM seems to be the sweet spot.
And like with all 5-6 speeds you need to give it gas as you are releasing the clutch so that the car never bucks.
Also I ALWAYS let the enigne warm up until the egine is iddling below 1K RPM.

Now while Autocrossing, that's a whole different situation. At my last Evolution Autocross drving school the instructor said not to shift into 2nd until I was up there into the RPM's. With each lap he kept telling me to hold off the shift longer and longer. And of course in Autocross you rarely if ever shift into 3rd(as 3rd will get you to 100 mph and then its not an Autocross anymore).
Its a strange feeling doing nearly 80 mph in 2nd gear.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote