Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Dual mass flywheel question

I just pulled the transaxle out of my 98 Boxster to install a new clutch kit and a new RMSeal. My question is how much radial play/twist should outer section (contact with the clutch disc) of the flywheel have after 86K miles? By hand I can rotate the section about 10 degrees (est.). Is this normal? No current oil leakage in the area. Please advise.
Thanks!

BoxsterSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #2

I also just replaced my clutch after re-installing the engine. Dual mass flywheel should have no more than 15mm of "twist" each way CW and CCW and should return approximately to centre when released...
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #3

Wow, 15MM that's just a 1/2 inch. Is that for a brand new flywheel? I'm going to have to measure both CW and CCW to see if there is a difference. Facing the flywheel, does the engine turn CW or CCW?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #4

In my manual when replacing camshaft timing chains, it says to turn the engine by using the crankshaft bolt clockwise when viewed from the front. I would assume that would be CCW when viewed from the clutch side...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban99
In my manual when replacing camshaft timing chains, it says to turn the engine by using the crankshaft bolt clockwise when viewed from the front. I would assume that would be CCW when viewed from the clutch side...

I believe turning the engine over counter-clock wise can jam the cam timing chains requiring engine disassembly to repair
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #6

Facing the back of the engine it's CCW rotation and confirmed by a rotation directional arrow on the new RMseal I installed.
With dual mass flywheel off and on the work bench I was able to scrib markes at the CW to CCW rotation. The total travel was about 1-1/8 which is a little less than the 15+15MM.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #7

You should be good to go...where did you get the clutch kit from?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #8

From Pelican Parts.