Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

Ordering Help! Suspension.

I am going to order the ROW M030 kit. Do I order the 2.5 kit or do I order the 3.2S Kit? I have looked up some of the specs and the S kit has thicker sway bars. The springs and shocks/struts have different part numbers. Are the kits only different by spring values? Is the valving different from kit to kit? Are the spring values different because of a S has a 6 speed tranny and is heavier? Anybody with experience please chime in.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I am going to order the ROW M030 kit. Do I order the 2.5 kit or do I order the 3.2S Kit? I have looked up some of the specs and the S kit has thicker sway bars. The springs and shocks/struts have different part numbers. Are the kits only different by spring values? Is the valving different from kit to kit? Are the spring values different because of a S has a 6 speed tranny and is heavier? Anybody with experience please chime in.
Jaay,

Why not go for a set of adjustable coil-overs ? PSS9 or 10's, H&R, KW ect...
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

I would have thought cost is the major factor. I'm about to do the same - and for the cost I don't think it's hard to beat. Having been round Nurburgring in a couple M030 equipped Boxsters several times, it's an awesome improvement over stock - and for the complete set up for £500 from Porsche, simply can't be beaten
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

Price is a factor... BUT. I dont want to adjust, corner balance and all that. I drove a mo30 car and it was quite nice. Still. Any input to which to purchase? I still may go coil overs though . If you know me you know I cant make up my mind.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

I have a 2.7 M030 car. the option came factory installed.

I have a question - is the setup on my car DIFFERENT than an M030 setup for an "S" model? and if so, why? is it just b/c the cars weights are different..or is the M030 for an S actually "better"?

my mechanic was telling me about another customers car htat he put GT3 sway bars and Tarrett drop links on and he said it blew his mind how much better it handled. I was wondering, on a car with M030, would a setup like that throw the factory system out of whack...or would it be a nice improvement over what I have?

M030 shocks/springs + GT3 bars/tarrett drop links?

just wondering. thanks.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Jaay,

Interesting info on sway bar sizes here:
http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_030.html

This info led me to order the M030 front sway bar for an S and the rear sway bar for a non-S because it had a higher spring rate than the "S" bar and I wanted to tighten up the rear a bit, removing some understeer. I installed the stiffer bars without changing anything else and noticed a big difference.

Just today I received my ROW M030 springs. Coming soon are the Bilstein Sport shocks ordered thru Tire Rack. These are supposed to be the same shock as Porsche OEM, but at a better price.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #7

I think my setup will be.

H&R clubsport RSS coilovers
tarett drop links
gt3 front bar
row S rear bar

let me know what you think of this combo.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986
Just today I received my ROW M030 springs. Coming soon are the Bilstein Sport shocks ordered thru Tire Rack. These are supposed to be the same shock as Porsche OEM, but at a better price.
I'd double check your pricing. I paid $860 3 years ago for an entire RoW 030 suspension package from Sunset. Shocks,springs,sway bars and bushings. I thought Bilstein's are $215/shock?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Quote:

tarett drop links
gt3 front bar
row S rear bar

I don't have any data on the GT3 front bar, but i suspect it is pretty stiff. Your front is already biased toward understeer. that would make it even more biased.
If you use the GT3 front, i would get a GT3 rear. Or one of the rear adjustable bars.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:

tarett drop links
gt3 front bar
row S rear bar

Save your money and buy a LSD/TBD if you plan to autocross/DE/track the car. I have my car lowered (Gemballa springs), GT3 front sway bar, Tarett rear sway bar, and the biggest change came with the TBD I purchased from Quaife. I autocross a lot and it was a HUGE difference!

Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #11

Well the H&R's are on the way. I think when I get around to it I am going to order the Tarett kit - Bars/links This looks like it will be a fun winter install. I am going to change out a bad coil that I may have also. Cant wait to drive it all done.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
... and the biggest change came with the TBD I purchased from Quaife. Sammy
Did you install the Quaife or have it done? Installation cost?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Did you install the Quaife or have it done? Installation cost?
I had it installed for ~$600 (including shims).

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote