Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 150
One of the magazines tested an 09 Boxster S PDK, 12.6s 1/4mile. Not sure of 4.1 to 60 though.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Registered User
 
jacabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 731
the fastest 60 times i have seen in the car mags is 4.3 with launch control on the twin clutch . what about the 6 speed ? They are all gaga over the PDK i guess they forgot about the 6 speed.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered User
 
jacabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 731
i have seen claims online that the Roock boxster 60 times are 4.8 to 4.9 .
I am pretty sure that a lightly tuned EVO or STI will smoke the 3.6 boxster . my 03 evo was very quick but those cars are not that fun to drive though.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
The Boxster is simply not a straight line car, even with added power. If you want that, get a Z06 Vette, STi, Evo, Twin Turbo Porsche, etc.

0-60 times on any powerful modern car are limited not by power, but by grip. Any of these cars have far more power than the car can put down from a dead stop launch, which is why AWD cars are at a distinct advantage here. To me, if we're talking about acceleration performance, I don't care about 0-60, I care about 100-160. Rolling start and quarter mile times and trap speeds tell quite a bit more than 0-60 in my opinion.

The new Series II cars are cool, especially when coupled with PDK. However, I really think that for a street car, I'd still rather enjoy rowing my own gears.

As to comparing the two cars, I think the 987 is better looking, but I like that the 986 seems a bit more unique, especially on the interior. While the 9X7 interior is better, it feels much more mainstream than the 9X6 does.
__________________
Boxster S
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
dbw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 35
I have a 2004 Boxster non S, not a great deal of options, just a fun car. Anyway, I have been giving some thought to a 2009 base with a 6 speed and all my local dealer had was a base Cayman 6 speed which as the drive train was what I wanted to experience was just fine. My lady friend remarked she like the interior of my Boxster moreso than the Cayman (surprise) and to be honest the new car was almost too refined if that makes any sense.....great car though and I may yet end up with a 2009 (no IMS etc). I came out of the test drive realizing how much I liked what I had.
Dave
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
While the A96 engines in the Series II cars are cool, and certainly seem to have fixed all the shortcomings of the M96 engines, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they introduced a whole new list of problems. Obviously your 09 would be under new car warranty, but personally, I'd wait a year or possible two to let others play guinea pig.
__________________
Boxster S
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page