Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

Boxster info/DIY/links needed

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new here and glad to be here. Thanks to you i already changed my ignition switch

I'm a recent and proud owner of a 2002 Boxster S and would be very appreciative to get any and all recommendations and/or DIY links to the following:

1) Replace my Convertible top w/Glass Window. It has a hole thru the plastic window. I'd like to know what cloth type you would recommend including whats better for sound proofing outside wind noise. (fyi...During day here in my part of So Cal its usually hot to mild with a few months of rain. Nightime temp rarely get below 60 degrees)

Ebay Seller TOPSONLINE.COM has been selling two styles. His feedback Boxster owners left him has been positive on both tops

A. He sell one for $525. Its made with Haartz Stayfast Cloth-Canvas material & DOT rated Defroster Glass

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-1997-2002-02-Convertible-Soft-Top-Black_W0QQitemZ380171331665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5883fa2851

B . This one is $575. Its made with Original Black German (A5 Sonnenland) Cloth-Canvas

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-97-1997-2002-02-Convertible-Top-W-Glass_W0QQitemZ220500021663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3356d3519f

2. Changing my amber instrument/dash cluster lights to Blue. Where can i get the lights and how can i do it myself (note: I understand lights/led's may be wired differently on 2002's vs 1998-2001's)

3. Moving Spoiler Switch to closer available switch The following place sells the switch but i needed to know to install it (i need low tech instructions!)
http://www.e-partssales.com/miva//merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=SpoilerSwitch

4. The BOSE speaker system speakers that utilizes the storage space behind the seats are blown A. What's easiest way to remove and replace these? B. Do you recommend I replace with different speakers?

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by eurotic spaniard; 10-30-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: attached wrong link
eurotic spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #2

Constructive Feedback

Eurotic Spaniard has requested some help. Anyone care to chime in?

RKwei

Last edited by rkwei; 11-01-2009 at 04:07 AM.
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #3

I can only comment on the spoiler switch since I moved it to the dash. Bought the switch on eBay...comes with complete instructions; very easy to follow.

Can't help with the rest, though I've done a number of mods to my car:

B&M Short Shift
Evo Hi-Flow
H&R Sport Springs
Fabspeed 2nd Cat Bypass Pipes
Oettle Sport Muffler
Complete Deamber
LN Filter Adapter/Drain Plug
LN Low Temp T-Stat

Car has 17k miles...top is like new. Like the instrument lights the way they are...don't listen to the stereo, though it has a lot of speakers.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Sorry. I have not done any of those mods so not much help. The two most well known replacement tops are GAHH and Robbins. No idea which fabric is best. Gahh tops have had many satisfied customer responses here.

The Bose SW runs at a very low impedance so if you plan to use the existing amp make sure the speakers you choose match the impedance needed. Are you sure the speakers are bad or did the amp trip a fuse or breaker?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #5

Thanks Topless. Yeah I'll check GAHH out as well. Also thanks for the heads up with the BOSE config. Helps to know all that.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotic spaniard
[B]1) Replace my Convertible top w/Glass Window. It has a hole thru the plastic window. I'd like to know what cloth type you would recommend including whats better for sound proofing outside wind noise. (fyi...During day here in my part of So Cal its usually hot to mild with a few months of rain. Nightime temp rarely get below 60 degrees)
My recommendation for the soft top would be to stay with Porsche.
Try to find a complete soft top assembly for an '03 or '04 (which have the glass) from a dismantler.
there are many advantages to doing it this way:
a) You can do it yourself and save a ton of money, because installation is very simple when you replace the complete assembly. 3 bolts on each side.
b) You get a MUCH better fit, because it's a factory piece, not a 3rd party piece.
c) The cost from a dismantler will be less than a new 3rd party plus installation.
Good luck,
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

Blue LED's can be bought on ebay and are simple DIY for the gauges, but soldering is required for the HVAC and console lighting. $20ish on ebay.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
My recommendation for the soft top would be to stay with Porsche.
Try to find a complete soft top assembly for an '03 or '04 (which have the glass) from a dismantler.
there are many advantages to doing it this way:
a) You can do it yourself and save a ton of money, because installation is very simple when you replace the complete assembly. 3 bolts on each side.
b) You get a MUCH better fit, because it's a factory piece, not a 3rd party piece.
c) The cost from a dismantler will be less than a new 3rd party plus installation.
Good luck,
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks for info but would a 2003 top with glass fit a 2002 body as is with no modifications?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

the 2003-2004 top will fit your car perfectly. BUT you need teh WHOLE thing. the canvass top AND the metal frame stuff.

the aftermarket canvass tops are JUST the fabric....and you will need a professional installer to remove the old top, and then put the new top onto your stock frame/ribbing.

pedro's suggestion is probably the best bang for the buck - but you have to find the top which is not as easy as just ordering a new one off the internet....

if you are patient and look around you may find a used 03-04 top... someone here did it and had great results... many others have used theGAHH top and like it as well.

how bad is the hole in your window? is it an actual "hole" or is it just a crack/slice? my top recently had a pretty good sized crack - about 1.5-2" long... it is very close to the edge of teh plastic, up close to where the plastic is stitched into the canvass top.... what I did was glue it together using silicone adhesive. I bought a cheap package of loctite clear silicone adhesive at Lowes. the stuff is in a big tube and has an applicator you screw on. then undo the top and open it maybe 1/4 - 1/2 way so all the tension is taken off the plastic window. once I did that, the crack had no tension and it pretty much closed itself so that it was just a slice.... if that m akes sense.. then i put the adhesive on the outside and inside and let it sit a few hours in the garage. i let mine cure overnight and the next day closed it up and when i latched it all shut - no tears. hte adhesive has held for over am onth now.

it's not a perfect fix - if you look really clsoe you can see it is repaired, but at a glance it's very hard to see. eventually, i'll upgrade...but for now -it works.

do you daily drive the boxster or is it a "toy" car you drive on weekends. mine is the latter - so it's rarely out and when it is, the top is down...so i'm not super picky on teh rear window being "flawless" as no one really even sees it..it's either in the garage or undera car cover in the driveway...and when it's out/driven, the top is DOWN!

enjoy the new car! a boxster is such a fun car!

did you paint your bumperettes? that is a must! you can DIY or buy them for not too much. makes the rear end look much much nicer. that was one of my first mods.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #10

hey thanks a lot for the info! yeah my hole is the plastic is 1.5" x 1.5" and approx 2" from side. I would try to fix it like you did but since i use the car every day i also live in the inland empire of so cal where its keeps pretty sunny and warm most of the year. (Its nov 9th, sunny and 77 degrees). I'd like to get the glass window so I can have smoke tint put on it then tint the side windows as well. Its amazing how much heat is reduced using tint around here. I like the idea of looking for 03-04 complete factory top and will start my search asap.

I didnt paint the bumperettes yet but now that you mentioned it that's a great idea and plan to go with it. What other mods did you do to your boxster? I was also thinking of changing the instrument cluster lights from amber to blue but i went on Ebay and porscheleds.com but they didnt have any available for the 2002 model. Do you know why that my be? Are the 2002 setup differently. Anyhow, thx again for all the great info provided.