Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #1

Talking Changing steering wheel with air bag

Hi people... anybody out there know how to change a steering wheel with air bag? im trying to get hold of the three spoke "sports" wheel for my early 98 boxster (at present has the flat 4 spoke item, previouse owner had lux pack and sound upgrade, but stayed with standard wheel!! odd choice but each to their own :-)) and want to make sure i dont get any large unwanted explosions while swapping them over!!

Sy Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #2

I figured this had to be atleast a $1000 job so have stayed away but how much have you found wheel + bag for? I have a 2000 so I have the nice new shifter and even a full leather package but not the new wheel.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #3

Talking

Not gonna be a cheap job.... the wheel is going to cost me around £350 (from a breaker... but airbag checked).. so that aint too bad.. but picture the scene.. im in my garage excitedly pulling at the front of my wheel to get the cover off and...... BANG!!!! the smell of gunpowder fill the air... and the smoke clears im left sitting in my boxster with a large deflated balloon hanging out my wheel!!! not gonna be nice ... what i really need to know is how long i need to disconnect the battery for and will it mess up the cars computer?? any ideas?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #4

I did it and it's NO BIG DEAL. You disconnect the battery and let it sit for 45 minutes, according to my mechanic. No Boom, no airbag light to reset, nothing.

Buy any 3 spoke wheel you can find on Ebay for a boxster or 996 all will work fine. Non tip's go for 150 - 200, Tips are far cheaper... I have a 5 speed and put in a tip due to cost ($81.00)

Airbags will always cost a bunch more...I paid $180 for mine, but the guy had no idea it was worth $250 or more.

When you get your wheel and airbag, PM me for a pictoral of how to remove it... it's a 30 minute job requiring a socket set with an extension and a Torx driver (#10 if I'm not mistaken) that removes two screws in the back of the wheel, releasing the airbag.

The other thing you should do is update that nasty, phallic looking shifter! Buy the one I posted to this site from Ebay that I saw... and scratch off the silver paint with your fingernails and make it look new again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7959992159&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I swear that if this thing goes cheap, I'll buy it myself and make some money on the resale of it... took me nearly five months to find one one Ebay that was selling cheap!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-09-2005 at 10:18 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #5

I will be selling my 04 3-spoke soon!

With air bag. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by Fletcher; 03-09-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #6

Fletcher, you have PM
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #7

Cheers guys... will let you know how it goes...
Shifter looks ok as well (or gearstick as we call it here.. shifter sounds better tho! lol).. might give it go see what happens.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #8

When handling your replacement Air Bag, remember its quite dangerous kit!!

Having said your original bag deployed when in situ, this is the best place for it to go off, luckily you weren't hurt too bad cos I know someone who had burned arms after a mild accident.

When handling the bag out of the car, ALWAYS KEEP IT PADDED SIDE UP. If it goes off that way, nothing too bad happens, but the other way, it becomes a frightening projectile that can launch itself wherever at over 200mph. I recommend placing it connector side down, padded side up, in the trunk (boot) until just before you are ready to fit it. Remove your battery negative a good 30-40 mins before you are ready to start on any part of the airbag circuits. DON'T USE RADIO CODE SAVER DEVICES as these will maintain the airbag circuits too.

When ready, carry the bag at arms length with pad away from you (connector towards you) connect electrical connector with pad away from you, torx bolt in, everyone away from the car, reconnect battery neg, stand outside of the car and key the ignition.

If all ok with airbag lights, bag will be as safe as it normally is.

0586slb is offline   Reply With Quote