Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #1

Cayman Performance

Best of all Porsches? Imagine that is the title of the article regarding the new Cayman of this weeks Autoweek. At Nurburgring driven by rallye championg Walter Rohrl it bested the fastest time set by a 997 Carrera. This is totally un-Porsche like that is confounding. Imagine the Cayman besting the 911. Wow that is serious news. :dance:

Old 03-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #2

I think the 911 Carrera's days may be numbered. The Cayman S will be it's lower cost but better performing cousin and the need for the Carrera to exist will be all but gone. Who is going to pay more for less? I wonder what Porsche is thinking?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:27 AM   #3

From the spy pics out there, it may even look better! IMO.

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I agree TOTALLY. Let's see...mid engine, lighter car, with a good amount of power...

I think the death stroke for the 911 will be when the Cayman received its first 3.6 liter engine.

At that point, the 911 will reach in vain for the back bumper of the Cayman as it eats everything else alive.

And by that time hopefully I will be the proud owner of a Cayman S. :-)

Bye bye 911 :chicken:

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Lux

I have a feeling Porsche has a real winner on their hands. I'll bet the Cayman outperforms a similiar equipped 996 w/ the 3.4L engine. And not only that, it will be competition to the other hardtop bahnstormers such as the M3, S4, etc.

My biggest gripe is the $65K price. Looks to me like they want to move the Cayman into base 911 price and either move the 911 way up in price or, as some suggest, have the Cayman replace the 911 in the future.

Personally, I can't wait to give the car a test drive. I'll know how my 986 will feel with a 3.4L transplant.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #6

I wouldn't count the 911 out quite yet. It was supposed to die after the 928 was introduced twenty years ago, but we know which one died an ignominious death.
That said, I do believe that we may be witnessing the birth of the new Porsche GT racing flagship. I'm no engineer but there is a great deal of logic to having the lump between the wheels rather than hung off the back end.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #7

The 911 will become what the 928 used to be, an expensive grand tourer. The 911 will be made more luxurious. The Cayman S will be the true Porsche sports car, what the 911 used to be.

There are plenty of rich bozos who will buy 911s with $30,000 in luxury options, while the Cayman S will be sold to driving enthusiasts.

2004 EVO RS -- Muellerized/RRE engine & suspension
2004 Audi S4 (B6) sedan -- bone stock

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway
Richard EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #8

Can't wait till the Cayman S comes out. Itching to buy a new car but now its a toss up between the Cayman or new E90 M3.

ttenneb is offline   Reply With Quote